Nvidia Shield USB Drive used as Internal Storage Disconnecting

I have observed multiple occasions where the Channels DVR app is stored on a USB stick (formatted as internal storage) on the Nvidia Shield and the Channels app is not visible because the USB drive has automatically disconnected during a period of non-use - the solution requires physically removing and re-inserting the usb drive - has anyone else seen this? - This problem seems to have started after the experience 9.0 update

There is a solution - it is possible to move apps from the usb drive to internal storage, and I have done this, but the point of adding the USB drive was to support a larger video playback buffer for the Channels DVR app

So, my question here is this: If the Channels DVR app is located on the limited internal storage of the Shield, is is possible to have it use the external USB drive for the video buffer? If so, how do you do this?

Also, is the random disconnection of the USB drive a temporary bug from the 9.0 update? The USB drive should not be disconnecting in this manner, right?

Nvidia is investigating this issue and looking for users to contact who are experiencing problems. Can I send them your info?

Yes

1 Like

Have you verified that the power setting for the USB port the drive is connected to is set to Always On?

Also, there is a USB mode setting that is probably set to Auto. You might try the alternate settings.

Yes the port is set to always on - I think that I tried changing some other settings as well - for now, I moved the app to the Nvidia Shield internal storage so that it will always be accessible (even if the USB drive disconnects) - Nvidia contacted me and I provided them some info. about this - so far this is the only issue that I have seen from upgrading my 4 Shields with the 9.0 Experience update

1 Like

I'm not sure nvidia received the info from you, so perhaps you should send it again.

Not currently but I'm looking into a setting that lets you pick which storage device you want to use for the buffer.

Yea this seems to be a bug in the 9.0 update and hopefully nvidia can figure out why it's happening.

1 Like

I exchanged some e-mails with Shawn at Nvidia

That would be great -

In my case, this seems to be happening only on the 2017 model, not the 2019 Pro - I moved the Channels app to the Nvidia internal storage for now and have not yet seen the USB disconnect

I have the exact same issue after the update.
I don't use the channels DVR app though. I just have other apps placed on the USB.
So, I can either remove and reinsert the USB or reboot the Shield.
Rebooting causes the GUI to freeze for probably a minute or so, though. Hopefully, they'll find and sort out the bug. :slight_smile:

Rebooting didn't work for me - I had to unplug and re-insert the usb stick. Also, there was an option under settings to move the contents of the USB drive to the internal storage and that did not work either - afterwards, contents were still on the USB drive - I ended up forgetting the USB drive and re-installing Channels on the internal storage for now. I exchanged some e-mails with Nvidia and they suggested that this would be fixed in an official release in Feb. or via a hotfix which is currently available - I am going to wait for the official release and hope it really gets fixed-