Nvidia Shield with HD homerun Prime

Can I record on all channels from Spectrum without DRM issues?

No. Only Windows Media Center (since discontinued) can record DRM channels.

It tends to be a regional cable provider thing. In my area Spectrum does not enable the drm flag for any channels except for premiums such as HBO,SHOW, etc. So I am able to use channels for everything but, with a prime.

This is correct. It varies widely and they can’t tell you in advance what is DRM and what isn’t, in my experience. Only way is to try and see, which is a ton of work and cost. Or you could get lucky and find another spectrum prime user in your area that can tell you. In my area spectrum has DRM on everything except around 15 or so channels. So my prime doesn’t do much for me, but it does prevent me from having to rent one of their crappy boxes for $7 a month.

Not sure about Spectrum but my cable provider rents me a CableCARD that decrypts and lets me record encrypted channels via my HDHR3-CC Prime.
At least as far as I know. They encrypt ESPN and I just tried it and it recorded. :man_shrugging:

There is a difference between encrypted and protected. Nearly all cable broadcasts in the US are encrypted. A CableCARD is needed to decrypt the stream, which is what the Prime does. (For unencrypted cable content—ClearQAM—any current HDHomeRun tuner can receive it; a Prime is only necessary for encrypted cable content.)

On the other hand, protected content—often referred to as DRM—is an additional flag that the cable provider can set on particular channels or programs. A channel/program without DRM is flagged as Copy Freely, which means you can record it, copy it, whatever. Channels marked with this flag are what Channels can tune with a HDHomeRun Prime tuner. However, there are two DRM-encumbered protected flags: Copy Once and Copy Never. Channels does not support these schemes.

(SiliconDust's own HDHomeRun app can display DRM programming on some devices, but its DVR software cannot record it. The only software that can both display live DRM programming, as well as record and play back DRM flagged content, is Windows Media Center.)

1 Like

Ah, right forgot the difference between DRM'd and encrypted, good explanation @racameron :+1:
I knew there was a reason I missed Windows Media Center :smiley:

Took a look at my lineup in HDHomeRun and none of them are flagged DRM. (whew)

1 Like

Thank you all!