NYC Area Folks

Potential new HDHR user here. Looking to get feedback from NYC area folks who use it with Optimum or FIOS. Easy to use? Reliable? Any issues with the cable card? Any potential problems to look out for? Thanks!

I am in north-eastern NJ, had Optimum for years, switched to FIOS about six months ago.

I had no issue getting cable cards from either provider. Getting them activated was a different matter, but ultimately cost me no more than an hour with each of them.

The biggest difference is what is DRMed. With Optimum, I could only get about 70 channels, mostly sports channels like ESPN, Yes, SNY, and MSG (weirdly, ESPN2 was DRM protected). Practically everything was locked down. With FIOS, I get 361 channels without DRM. I think the only channels I do not get are some of the Fox channels, like Fox Sports, which I can watch through TVE.

I think the picture quality overall was actually more consistent with Optimum, but unless you just want to use TVE, the trade-off is not worth it.

As for the HDHR, my Prime has been rock-solid reliable for the two years I've had it. No issues whatsoever with the hardware.

Hope that helps!

1 Like

Channels DVR also supports Locast for NYC.

Maybe sign up for the free Channels DVR trial, set the server up on a computer, and add TVE with your cable credentials and also add Locast.

I tried it out like that for a few weeks before deciding to buy an HDHR Prime.

2 Likes

Can anyone confirm if MSG Network is DRMed through FIOS in NYC area? Thanks!