Offer to play from library

Hi

I remember that some time ago, when we select a channel playing a movie, if that movie exists on library the program offer to play that movie from library or continue playing from the channel.
It seems that this do not work anymore. Is this still available? If yes, how do we turn it on?
Thank you

It only works when it is currently airing in the Client guide not in the future.

Thank you. Yes, I know that, but I select 2 or 3 channels playing movies that I am sure that I have on my library and program do not show the option to play from library.
Is there a setting to turn it on? Only works on some clients?
Thank you

1 Like

Are these imported movies if so it uses TMDB db to get metadata and will not show up as recorded ... you have to rematch them using Gracenote. This is one reason why I do not understand why they set TMDB as default for movies. I had to refresh metadata using Gracenote for hundreds of imported movies.

OK. Thank you very much. I will try that.

Yes, you are right. This is crazy and makes no sense. There is any way to do that quickly or do I have to do all movies one by one?

Yeah whomever made the decision to use TMDB to import movies did not think about imported movies being recorded. SMH

I had to do mine one by one.

We chose TMDB for imports because its data is generally a LOT better, and Gracenote's is generally terrible. Especially when matching based on file names.

That being said, we're aware of the absolute chaos that this creates for a lot of the fun features in Channels and are actively putting in the work to resolve it so that eventually all content in your Channels library will be more consistent and these features work more reliably.

3 Likes

I support the choice for using TMDB. For me it's more important for my Plex and CDVR to match then it is for my Imports to match TV Guide.

That being said. For someone who uses CDVR as regular linear TV I 100% see how this can be a issue.

¿Idea? Create a advance srtting to specify default matching for Imports TMDB or Gracenote

I believe work is being done/investigated to having both TMDB metadata, and Gracenote/TMS IDs ... meaning the best of both worlds in the future.

2 Likes

All of this would be moot if channels supported full NFO files for tv and movies.

No need to go one by one to edit stuff if the naming convention is wrong.

Quick scan, no need to rely on scraping (for the initial setup only of the nfo), no dependence on internal database if it crashes, etc.

Nfo support should be added.

We want to get to that too. But whether we support NFO files has no bearing on the above criticism. Who even has gracenote IDs in their NFO files? I doubt anyone.

Most people don’t even have NFO files. So NFO file support will just be an additional extra, not something we could 100% switch to.

Agreed.

(But not to be too snarky, NFO files within Kodi were a great way to supply all kinds of arbitrary film data for movies that were not easily indexed. … certain categories of films that often have keywords in the NSFW realm fit this use, which is why I don't envy anyone moving from Kodi to Plex/Emby/etc.)

Also, because XBMC never offered migration support so you’d have to do a rescan every three weeks when they changed their data model again :joy:.

NFO files saved a lot of time on Sundays!

i get that not everyone has nfo's and it will never be the default or ony route but not everyone has channels running on 6 containers, a toaster, 3 proxies, cloudflare tunnels, etc just to watch tv but they get all attention, fixes, accommodations from you guys here.

i bet there are a few or maybe the same amount of people who "miss Sage TV" and have docker containers recording jeopardy might have NFO files and that will solve one of the two issues I have with Channels:

library matching

and 4+year audio problems

any who, i know that doesnt correlate with the OP, but i bet it can help.

thanks.

1 Like

It would be great if Channels DVR could start out by creating NFO sidecar files for what it records, like it does for mcebuddy json metadata, comskip edl and VRD project files. Once it can handle creating them, next would be using them for local content imports. I remember this being discussed when local content imports were added. Maybe then it could correctly import what it recorded.

1 Like