OLED Burn-in and TV Recommendations

I'm going to have to buy another TV due to burn-in. I currently have an LG B7A OLED. And, I'm debating whether it makes sense to get another OLED or go with LED this time.

It's mostly due to banners and this TVE commercial break image/loop.

Is there some way to hide the banners or loops? I'd rather watch that loop than commercials, but I not at the expense of burn-in.

Are OLEDs better about burn-in than they used to be?

I have a lg cx that’s is a few years old and I don’t have any issues with burn in or screen retention. That includes gaming on it. Personally I wouldn’t buy another tv that isn’t an Lg oled. If you buy from Best Buy they will gladly sell you a warranty that protects you in the event of burn in. That should tell you it’s not a problem, if it was a problem then burn in coverage would be excluded.

2 Likes

Thanks for your thoughts on it. I bought mine from Best Buy and got the extended warranty back then. But, it's expired. But, it's good to know they feel that confident about burn-in. I think I'm going to try and get the next one from Costco due to their customer service and return policy. Plus, they throw in a little extra warranty with the purchase.

1 Like

I'm with Rice, although I wouldn't isolate myself on brand. I purchased a Vizio OLED a few years ago and it's been a great television. I would get an LG or a Sony OLED without even thinking twice. Don't all these newer units have a subtle image shift that helps to prevent burn-in? Your screen image is odd, is that what we would call burn-in, and what static image would cause something like that?

I have that same TV (55" version) and had that exact same issue, got on Twitter and hit up LG support and they replaced the panel for free out of warranty. Don't know if they're still doing that or not, this was a few years ago. I also think that it's not burn in, IMO it's a panel failure. Mine was just a random green blob in the middle of the screen pretty much like yours.

Been using the same TV with new panel and it's been fine ever since. I think this was mainly an issue for the early LG OLEDs, haven't seen many reports about the problem with the newer sets. Mostly articles that say that LG updated the panels a few years ago with a different manufacturing method and they're much better.

When mine dies or the panel goes bad again I won't hesitate to get another LG if I find a good deal at Costco.

That is great to hear. I will definitely hit up LG support.

There is a pixel shift. I actually thought mine had that, too. But, I could be wrong. The image that caused a lot of it seems to be the image I posted. However, the mute icon that LG puts on screen is burned in, too. I’m not sure it is visible on that image, it would be on the right hand side. But, the word “LIVE” is visible on the top left in this image. It’s from Fox News. It ought to be against the law to put images like that on screen, or at least optional, a way we can turn it off. I know. I could change the channel. But, that’s just a work around.

I wonder if you contacted LG in a similar fashion to what GTFan did if they might be willing to help you out a bit with that older OLED panel. Might be worth a shot to a loyal LG customer early in the OLED adoption.

I have already posted to LG support on X (Twitter). Hopefully they will respond soon. It’s worth a try.

I feel you should start by evaluating if you need the higher contrast that an OLED TV provides. Unless you have a very bright environment, an LED TV will be fine. Even when my living room is brightest, my Samsung LED TVs have been more than adequate. You want to make a choice that provides you with a satisfying viewing experience you will be happy while if you don't have that, then you will regret your choice every time you watch TV. If having a good viewing experience means replacing your TV a bit more frequently, so be it.

Enjoy whatever you get,

Morris

Thanks for your thoughts. I have contacted LG via X. I’ll see what they tell me. But, it is out of warranty. So, I don’t expect much. My hope is that this is not typical burn-in but rather it is due to some design flaw that they are standing behind, even outside of warranty.

I got in touch with LG via X. The best they would do is give me a 15% coupon. I guess I'm back to TV shopping.