OliveTin for Channels: An Interface for Misc Channels DVR Scripts & Tricks

OK, so it's working like it should.
Try editing the metadata on that one. What does it look like.
You should see Genres has Pro wrestling, like my example from above

You may need to add Categories Sports, or Sports event

I see it there but for some reason my smart rule for Pro wrestling for my collection "Wrestling" . The recording isn't show up there.

Can't help you there as I don't use collections.
You may want to start a new Topic about that.
The manual recording is working like it should.

Gotcha. Thanks for the help though really appreciate it!

1 Like

Is this something that did get added to OliveTin For Channels? Whenever @mjitkop posts channel lineup changes it always reminds me that I want to install that on my server, and then I think this would be a perfect reason for install the overall OliveTin project.

I haven't added it yet -- but plan to. The text and e-mail notifications are a wrinkle I need to iron out, but it shouldn't be overly difficult. Stay tuned!

2 Likes

This project is pretty amazing. I've been somewhat following it, but without time to dip my toe in until today. Thank you for contributing this.

I'd be interested in a post on how to use the TWiT data generated by this. I see the xml in my /data directory, but I'm not sure how to use it with Channels.

Assign that XML file in the Source:

Then map it to your TWiT.tv channel:

Thanks! I matched my data to yours (aside from the path under XMLTV Guide Data), and my guide data says "TWiT Tech Podcast Network Live Stream" with no other program data, so clearly I've messed something up.

The main screen shows "Generate TWiT.tv Guide Data (Running!)", and the log shows "exit status 1"

Here are my settings:

I redownloaded all my guide data.

Could you post the stdout and stderr from the OliveTin log for the TWiT.tv action please.

I'd like to see what's up with the exit code 1.

No, this is normal. No live shows are in the next few hours or days. The guide for this particular stream is generic like that, or even blank, when it's airing repeats.

What happens when you select the channel in the guide? It should show Upcoming Shows, the new/live ones, which start airing on Tuesday...

Here's a screenshot of the log from the UI. If you meant from somewhere else, let me know and I'll post that.

Ah, thanks for pointing that out! If I drill down into the thumbnails after selecting the channel, I can see episode titles. Thank you! Getting correct TWiT data was the one item that's been evading me for a long time.

Once you launch the script with a recurring run interval, as I'm guessing you did at 18:23, if you try to run it again with another run interval you'll get an error. If the button shows (Running!), then you already have a recurring task running.

You can kill the running task by entering "0" as the time interval. It's also possible to use an interval of "once" to have the data updated immediately even if you have an ongoing task running. Let me know if any of this is not working as described.

I've now added the very nice @mjitkop Channel Lineup Changes script to OliveTin-for-Channels. It's currently available using the :test tag only at bnhf/olivetin:test. After I get feedback from a couple of you I'll build it with the :latest tag as well.

This script is designed to run continuously -- so, similar to the YouTube Thumbnails and TWiT.tv Guide Data scripts it'll show you that it's running on the OliveTin Action Button, and it'll restart itself using the last used parameters on host or container restart.

The script will produce output to a file called channels_dvr_monitor_channels.log, but for best effect I'd suggest using the e-mail or text notification feature. Both require an SMTP mail server, and with Gmail anyway, this is done by creating an "app" password. You'll be using your normal Gmail address, but with a unique password assigned to this script.

More details on app passwords if you haven't used them before:

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833?hl=en

Even if you're not a everyday Gmail user, you can setup an account just for this, and then have the e-mails sent to your regular address. I believe Yahoo has a similar feature, if that's the way you roll.

1 Like

Using the test build now. Set it up for gmail notification. I'm confused what alwy and siwn is in the log. Seems to be running.

Just taking a wild guess here, but I bet you entered the Gmail app password including the spaces -- those need to be removed.

Not sure why they present it that way. Are spaces ever allowed in passwords? If not, I can strip them out in the future.

You were right, I pasted the PW in with the spaces. I also had a bogus gmail address in the address field. I stopped the task by setting the frequency to zero, then made the corrections to all the fields but when I started the task it still filled in the recipient and text fields with alwy and siwn (parts of my screwed up PW field from my first attempt). I could never get the restart to work with corrected fields until I stopped the container, filled in all the fields properly then started. Not sure what was going on but it seemed like once I put in a bogus email address for the email field, it ignores any updates to the fields and starts the task with the last (screwed up) entries.

So now it seems like everything is running correctly. With both email and text notifications.

So then I stopped the task, setting frequency to 0. Then started a new task this time not specifying a cell phone number (left field blank), only a email notification. I get this in the log.

Seems like it really wants a phone number. I was assuming that if a phone number was not specified but email was, it would send email notifications, but not a text message. Same if I left the email field blank but specified a phone number, then it would send text notifications only. Is that the way it is supposed to work?

The script should work with either email or phone number provided by itself. I'm pretty sure I tested this during development.

You don't even have to provide any of them and the script will just do visual monitoring in this case with no notifications.

The error message indicates that OliveTin provided the "-t" option to the script without a phone number following the option. When the text number field is left blank, it should not add the "-t" option on the command line. Same behavior with the "-r" option.

A small bug that @bnhf will be able to fix easily. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Correct. You also need to generate an app password if you want to use Yahoo Mail.

I've been using Yahoo Mail this way from the very beginning.