OliveTin for Channels: An Interface for Misc Channels DVR Scripts & Tricks

I removed and reinstalled and it's working. I wasn't able to use outside host name. I had to tunnel in to get it working.

Still not sure what you're talking about here. Outside hostname for what? Tunnel in how?

You're going to need to up the word count on your posts if you want to contribute back to this community. Short and cryptic isn't going to help the next guy, who may or may not have an issue similar to yours. :slight_smile:

using putty and I have a .ddns.net that is setup for my ip address.

I do have a question though. Getting the details of all the sources from Channels DVR...
Got 9 sources.

Writing the channel information to the CSV file...
Channel information available in channels_dvr_channel_list_20231207_164131.csv

where is it saving it?

1 Like

This directory you defined as ${HOST_DIR}/olivetin

You can see this as the last line in the stderr log for the action
+ mv channels_dvr_channel_list_20231207_154818.csv /config

1 Like

Looks like a docker never materialized for this. But it looks like it could be a useful addition to OliveTin?

Totally agree, I was looking at that as well. There's another similar project we could consider that would remove commercials too. In addition, there's one that would extract Closed Captions and create a subtitles (.srt) file. All require ffmpeg.

In past projects of mine, I've easily added ffmpeg to the container. The image that OliveTin is based on however, has some challenges with ffmpeg. So, I'm thinking about moving to an Alpine or Debian based image. It'll probably happen as I don't love the current base image.

1 Like

New OliveTin-for-Channels pushed, under the :latest tag, with support for generating an M3U based on a Channel Collection:

More detail here:

2 Likes

@maddox or @tmm1 Are there URLs where I can wget the Linux versions of ffmpeg that Channels uses for amd64 and arm64? I'm migrating OliveTin-for-Channels over to a Debian-based container so I can more easily add a few new "Actions" that require it. Seems like it'd be best to use the version you use, for AC4 support and the like.

See the setup.sh in the dvr install instructions

Just what I was hoping for -- thanks!

OliveTin-for-Channels can now remove commercials from your CDVR recordings! It's a test container at this point, under the :test.debian tag. It'd be great if a few of you could give it a try to see what tweaks might be needed to maximize its utility. More details here:

Very nice. Fileflows work too. And comchap was updated recently with a windows script

Just tossing out a script I use to take PlayOn recordings and build .edl files based on the fact that PlayOn files usually (at least in my experience across several of their streaming sources) have "Chapters" that indicate Advertisements.

This is a simple bash script that takes the filename (or can feed in wild card like *.mp4) and outputs an .edl file.

It does use ffmpeg to read the file to get the Chapters data.

I have been using this manually for 100+ recordings now, and have not seen any issues with it.

#!/bin/bash
#     Chapter #0:0: start 0.000000, end 1290.013333
#       first   _     _     start    _     end

while [ $# -gt 0 ]; do

ffmpeg -i "$1" 2> tmp.txt

output_filename="${1%.mp4}.edl"  # Remove .mp4 from the filename and add .edl

while read -r first _ _ start _ end; do
  if [[ $first = Chapter ]]; then
    read  # discard line with Metadata:
    read _ _ chapter

if [ "$chapter" = "Advertisement" ]; then
      echo -e "${start%?}\t$end\t3" >> "$output_filename"
    fi

fi
done <tmp.txt

rm tmp.txt

shift
done

Maybe a useful tool for Olivetin (if it can utilize ffmpeg like this?)

Yes, absolutely! Thanks for contributing this script -- I'll add it to OliveTin shortly. I think it's going to be great to have ffmpeg in the container. Not sure if full-on transcoding is in the cards, but there are lots of other uses for ffmpeg, as evidenced by your script and edlstrip.

@kcshield

I've added your script to OliveTin, with a few modifications to support multiple DVRs and make it WebUI friendly. Tested with several PlayOn sourced TV episodes, and it seems very good. Appears to need only a few seconds to run on the typical "hour-long" TV show.

Pull the most recent :test.debian tagged container to give it a spin. Current "timeout" is set to 30 seconds, which might need tweaking depending on how many episodes people want to be able to process in a single run:

EDIT: I realized I hadn't tried using a wildcard -- and that's not working, so it's strictly a one file at a time situation for the moment. Something I changed killed that functionality apparently. I'll take a fresh look at it soon -- to get that part going too.

EDIT2: I see now that you were supporting multiple filenames at a time as well. Nice! More tweaking on my end to get that going too. Breaking out the file path into a different argument should mostly sort things out.

@kcshield

A bit of a trip to crazy town -- but sorted now. That particular expansion of wildcard arguments is only partially supported in OliveTin, with the presence or absence of quotes being even more important than usual. Particularly when combined, as in this case, with filenames that can contain spaces.

Functioning build pushed under the :test.debian tag. Working well in my testing. Pretty convenient to do a *.mp4, or even an *S1E10* for a single episode shorthand.

Reworked playonedl.sh:

#!/bin/bash
#     Chapter #0:0: start 0.000000, end 1290.013333
#       first   _     _     start    _     end
set -x

dvr=$1
channelsHost=$(echo $dvr | awk -F: '{print $1}')
channelsPort=$(echo $dvr | awk -F: '{print $2}')
dvrDir="$channelsHost-$channelsPort"
playonPath="$2"
playonSingleMP4="$3"
playonMultipleMP4s=$3

wildcardArgumentHandler() {
if [[ "$playonSingleMP4" == *'?'* || "$playonSingleMP4" == *'*'* ]]; then
  playonMP4s=()
  for playonMP4 in $playonMultipleMP4s; do
    playonMP4s+=("$playonMP4")
  done
else
  playonMP4s=("$playonSingleMP4")
fi
}

commercialChapters2EDL() {
for playonMP4 in "${playonMP4s[@]}"; do
  ffmpeg -i "$playonMP4" 2> /tmp/playonedl.tmp
  playonEDL="${playonMP4%.mp4}.edl"  # Remove .mp4 from the filename and add .edl
  [ -f "$playonEDL" ] && rm "$playonEDL"

while read -r first _ _ start _ end; do
      if [[ $first = Chapter ]]; then
        read  # discard line with Metadata:
        read _ _ chapter
        if [ "$chapter" = "Advertisement" ]; then
          echo -e "${start%?}\t$end\t3" >> "$playonEDL"
        fi
      fi
    done </tmp/playonedl.tmp

rm /tmp/playonedl.tmp
  echo -e "\n$playonEDL created for:"
  echo -e "$playonMP4 with the following contents:\n"
  cat "$playonEDL"
done
}

main() {
  cd "/mnt/$dvrDir/PlayOn/$playonPath"
  wildcardArgumentHandler
  commercialChapters2EDL
  cd /
}

main

New Debian-based version of OliveTin-for-Channels pushed today as :latest. OliveTin Actions available include:

• Comskip on/off by channel
  • List channels with Comskip off
  • Manually add recordings
  • Find Gracenote station IDs
  • Fix YouTube thumbnails
  • Download TwiT.tv guide data
  • Generate channels list in CSV format
  • Generate movie list in CSV format
  • Scan/Prune local content
  • Mark an episode for re-recording
  • Channel lineup change notifications
  • Generate filtered Channels DVR log
  • List sources for a single channel
  • Delete Channels DVR recording log files
  • Send message to defined Channels clients
  • Docker-Compose Examples for Channels & Related Extensions
  • Remove Comskip markers from a recording
  • Restart or shutdown a Channels DVR server
  • Ping Channels DVR server
  • Generate a Channels DVR M3U playlist
  • Remove commercials based on an EDL file
  • Create EDL file from PlayOn recording chapters
  • Create subtitles (.srt) file from Closed Captions

A number of these Actions include the ability to have them execute on a recurring schedule.

Happy Holidays Channels Community!

2 Likes

I pulled the latest image and I'm getting an error in List Sources For a Single Channel.

It's complaining about function gensub not being defined.

@cyoungers OK, thanks. It seems Fedora uses the GNU version of awk by default and Debian does not. So, I added gawk to the olivetin image and changed awk to gawk in the script. Appears fixed here, let me know if you see the same after pulling the :latest again.