On Later Feature Suggestion

Could I make a feature request for “On Later”? I would love to see an option to go ahead and tune to the channel from the menu when you select it. For instance, World Series game tonight. Coming on in 10 minutes but what’s actually showing now is the pre-game. Had to go all the way back to the guide to get to the game. Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback. If the airing you're looking at is actually playing, it will have a Watch button.

But there's no good reason to add a "tune to this channel" button on every airing. On Later is about future items, it's not a guide.

Ok, wasn’t exactly the response I feel i deserved on this to say there’s no good reason. I think I have a pretty good reason honestly. it’s a hassle if I just want to go ahead and tune to the channel getting ready to watch a game. Thanks for the feedback

1 Like

I know what you're saying, but On Later is more for scheduling future recordings or seeing what's on later today.

Both the grid guide and On Now can be used to tune to a channel for live viewing.

That’s absolutely true. Just the way sporting events are sometimes broadcast this feature leaves something to be desired. At least for me. If you’re a few minutes early for the broadcast you can’t get to it from either on now or on later. I have a ton of channels and sometimes it’s a pain to find the channel especially if it’s not a channel I use all the time. Even if you go to the guide and go to sports, sometimes that doesn’t show the channel a game is about to come on. For instance on ESPN, it shows as news while it’s sports center or something in between games. I was hoping this would make it easier to navigate to an upcoming event I wanted to watch but that’s not what this is. I’ll just disable the feature

I totallllly get that. And I think the problem here is, what you're asking for is actually just a sports thing and doesn't apply to normal TV.

Something I think Channels needs, is to serve sports fans better. I've been thinking about it a lot and I think over the next year we'll explore a Sports section that does that better.

Keep a look out, but I'll open a new topic to investigate this and to try to get feelings from the sports fans out there. I don't think having to explore and watch sporting events stuffed in a box designed for episodic TV is really all that great.

6 Likes

As a sports fan I’m excited to hear this!

1 Like

Big sports fan here as well - great to hear and will look out for the new topic to follow!

1 Like

I'm not too in to sports. But I do like my Green Bay Packers and I have thought what would happen to a recording if a game went over time. This would apply to pretty much any televised sport. I think this topic was broached a couple of years ago. But if you do a sports focus next year, being able to dynamically check if a sporting event has ended at or before the scheduled time would be something to look in to. Maybe check scores 1 minute before the scheduled recording end time using an online source to see real-time game status and add five minutes to the scheduled recording end time if status is not final until the check becomes final. But that topic can be discussed when you start looking into a a sports focus.