One copy of the app works; the other doesn't

I have two TV’s each with an Apple TV. Both also have ChannelsBoth are wired as is the HD Homerun Extend.

Here’s the problem. Both Apple TV’s work on Netflix, etc. But on works find the HD Homerun tuner; the other defaults to my router address and never find the IP for the tuner. I’ve tried to force it via manual mode, but it still doesn’t find it.

I’ve pinged the address from a PC with the same internet connection as the Apple TV with seemingly defect Channel’s app. It comes up find and fast.

I’ve deleted and reinstalled the Channels App; still no good.

I cannot figure out what’s happening. Anyone else?

Are the two ATVs and the HDHR on the same physical switch? Are you using powerline or wifi extenders?

What happens when you click Add Tuner Manually and enter the IP of the HDHR.

ATV1 (the one with the app that works), is connected to a switch that also feeds the HDHR. That switch is connected to a Sophos device. ATV2 (where the app isn’t working) is connected directly to the Sophos device. No power line or wifi extenders. On ATV1, everything works. It detects it or I can add it manually. ATV2 is showing the Sophos device as a tuner (192.168.1.1 vs. 192.168.1.11) and when added manually, it comes back and says this isn’t a tuner.

Sounds like the Sophos device is mangling the HDHR UDP discovery packets. What kind of device is it?

It’s a 135XG. I wondered the same and turned off a bunch of stuff to no avail. Why isn’t it also mangling ATV1

You said that the ATV1 and HDHR are connected to the same switch, so they would be able to talk to each other directly.

You could swap the locations of the two ATVs which would narrow it down to the location vs the device/app.

OK, here’s what I did.

The Sophos device hooks to a switch. The switch then connects to other devices and the switch I mentioned earlier. So I hooked the switch that has the ATV the works to that switch, and the ATV2 that didnt’ work also to the switch. In other words, nothing was directly to the Sophos unit.

No luck. ATV 2 still wants to get to 192.168.1.1 vs. 192.168.1.11

When trying to hook up via manual, error no tuner detected on 192.168.1.11

Huh that’s pretty strange. Did you reboot the Apple TV after switching the cabling?

Ideally all three devices would be plugged into the same physical switch. The more hops there are the more possibilities for issues.

That may be, but I cannot do that. You mentioned you thought there may a problem with the Sophos (think SonicWall) device. I tried to avoid hooking directly to the device using a switch instead. If it were the Sophos device (e.g., everything is going through that somehow), what element do you think it is messing up so that it cannot find the tuner; whereas the other ATV can find it? I can contact Sophos with a bit more detail.

What matters is whether the traffic between the ATV and HDHR is going through the firewall device or not. On a single switch the traffic will flow directly. Once other switches are involved it’s not guaranteed what path the packets will take.

The HDHR discovery protocol uses UDP and TCP packets on port 65001. That should be all the info Sophos support needs to help create a rule to ignore that traffic

Thank you. They have responded asking for these ports. I’ll let you know what they come up with so you have the same information if others have similar difficulties.

I promised to get back to you when it all worked out.

I’m not exactly sure what did it, but changed firewall so that LAN to LAN was completely open.

Enabled Multicast.

Completely unplugged everything from the Apple TV (Power, Cat5 & HDTV cord).

Plugged everything back in.

It works!

After a lot of research found that Multicast must be on; Port 65001 is HDHR’s listening port; must be open. I also enabled IP 192.168.255.255 (which is the multi cast address; but not sure that did anything).

John

1 Like