Oreo Launcher API

Seems to be something specific to UK guide data. I haven’t been able to reproduce here, and I’ve gone through the code a few times but don’t see anything wrong.

Some screenshots and details of what exactly is shown under the gray tiles would help debug.

The rows update in real time (once a minute), as long as the app has been launched atleast once.

Finally got mine to clear the repeated grey tiles, by removing the channel London Live from my favourites, force stop the app, clear cache & data, uninstall, reboot shield, reinstall. This time after reinstalling Channels just displayed its purple logo on the row until I launched the app, when it correctly populated the on now row with my favourites and no repeated blank tiles. It seems to need the extra step of a full reboot as after previous uninstall / reinstall the grey tiles came back even after clearing data.

This doesn’t appear to be updating for me even after launching. After a sleep / wake cycle all the tiles are just blank, and opening the app fails to refresh the guide data. I need to double click the home key and use the app switcher to fully close the app, then after relaunch it refreshes the guide correctly and loads tile info with guide data.

I am having the same problem with the On Now row either repeating the same station all the way across, and int the app, the On Now and Guide are not populated until I force stop the app and clear data and cache. This seemed to start at the same time the channel rows were implemented.

My provider is FiOS at Quantico, VA

Problem has returned just a day later. Same channel causing the issue for me as last time.

I’ve uploaded a new beta build (v98) which should fix the guide refresh problem, and also fix the ghost entries on the home row.

It also adds preliminary support for Google Assistant global voice search, so you can search for your DVR’d movies and tv shows via the voice assistant.

Opening the app should show new guide data, but let me know if the tiles on the home screen work or not after a sleep/wake cycle.

The guide data definitely is not populating after a sleep / wake cycle which has now created a new problem since google pushed an update for the home screen which completely disabled a channel when it has no content.

So when the guide data expires (guessing at midnight in the U.K.) Oreo on the Shield then disables the Channel row completely and won’t allow it to be toggled back on in the menu until the app is opened and run again. Once it has new guide data it then adds the row but right at the bottom of the screen again.

I do not keep Channels (or any apps that have the google channel feature) in my favourites so it means having to open the app tray and relaunch it it and resort my home screen to get it back which is a total pain!

Can you not implement a way for it to stay completely up to date the same as it does for the native Live Channels app? Or extend the guide data to say 7 days or even just 3 so during that time I am bound to launch the app once without it disappearing from the home screen.

1 Like

Uploaded a new beta build (v102) which should prevent the Channels home row from disappearing.

It should also automatically trigger a guide refresh/update when coming out of sleep.

Let me know how it works out. Really appreciate your testing and detailed reports so far!

Been testing the new build for the past day or so now… The channels row stays on screen now after sleep or rebooting. Unfortunately it doesn’t seem to be auto refreshing on wake from sleep still. I make sure to leave the app ‘running’ when sleeping my Shield but this morning it was still displaying schedule info from last night. Opening the app immediately refreshes, and as long as the Shield is running it does seem to be updating the guide data in the background now while in other apps.

1 Like

Could you submit diagnostics after waking from sleep?

Hi… woke from sleep and the guide data had not refreshed and was still showing programme i go from yesterday so I loaded Channels and immediately submitted diagnostics for guide data (and also video player just in case).

Another weird thing that happened today on wake was Channels had moved it’s row to the bottom of the home screen - I always have it up top for easy access.

Uploaded v104 with some fixes. The On Now home row should refresh within 30s of waking from sleep.

After installing this update, a channels won’t load at all. It starts and goes right back to the launcher. I have tried clearing cache, data and restarting the Shield. Nothing works. The Apple TV app works OK. Help, please

Uploaded v106 beta with a fix.

That did the trick! Thank you for the fast response as usual.

1 Like