Oreo Launcher API

Now that the Mi Box is getting Oreo and its coming soon for the Shield, are their plans to use the homescreen API? Maybe populate it with favorites?

3 Likes

There is experimental support for an On Now row on the Oreo home screeen in the latest Play Store beta build.

Amazing to see support for the new launcher getting implemented. Right now clicking the main circular app button on the left fails to do anything - every other “channel” button launches its app.

Also the tiles in the U.K. for ‘on now’ just show up as black boxes at the moment. How does the on now get selected? Would be really cool if it could be based on favourites rather than random channels. Any plans to also live play the actual channel as it is highlighted while scrolling right (same as it does in the native google Live Channels app)

More than happy to run any tests or provide feedback when needed. This will be such a great addition to the app.

1 Like

You may need to uninstall and reinstall. I will try to fix for the next beta.

It uses favorites.

Hmm, does it show program info underneath? Can you take a photo?

Probably not to start as its very tricky to implement…

hThanks. I have that updated.

App launches fine, but it only shows one tile with the Channels logo in it that says On Now under it. It’s supposed to have a tile for each favorite channel, correct?

Edit: The tiles just updated. Took much longer than I had expected, but they are there now.

1 Like

Fixed.

Fixed.

Fixed to update once per minute.

Looks like this is doable with a bit of work. I’m hesitant to make it the default behavior since it will use up a tuner, but we may be able to add an option for it.

Please don’t make it the default, Live Channels does this and I find it more annoying than anything. It seems neat at first but it makes more sense to use the the home screen to find what you want to watch than to have the actual video playing.

The favorites were sorted in opposite order which is why they appeared random. This has been fixed.

New version installed (removed old first) and launches direct from the circular logo now. ‘On now’ tiles also showing the images same as within the app. Really awesome that it uses favourites! Is it possible to change the order the favourites are listed / sorted at all? Only in the U.K. all the SD channels are first in the guide then HD starts at 101.

Noticed when trying to launch direct from one of the tiles it comes up with a message about HDHomeRun not found, but launching the app first connects to the tuner fine.

Thanks for implementing this into the app.

Yes you can click and hold a channel on the On Now tab to access the Move option.

Hmm I guess this is a bug after you reboot or if you kill the app. Will look into it.

Hi there.

Running this on a NVIDIA Shield latest Oreo Dev version.

Have installed the beta of channels for the “channels” beta feature. However the app does not open. Constantly crashes. When I click on a channels tile just says no HDHomerun. When I open the app directly it just crashes. Any suggestions? Have uninstalled and reinstalled from fresh as well.

Running HDHomerun
Device ID: 1230DAA0
Model number: HDHR4-2DT

Thanks for the tip with channel sorting! That just made it even better.

The HDHomeRun not found error comes every time I try and launch direct from one of the ‘on now’ tiles. After reboot, having had the app open and tuned or from another app.

I’ve just loaded this onto my 16GB Shield that has updated to Oreo (2nd Shield not got it yet as enrolled later in the Preview programme). Didn’t find my DVB Quatro on first loading up but did after a manual scan. Have also had a few No HDHomerun tuner found when launching a channel from the recommendations. Finds it okay launching the full app.
Also I cannot move the order of the Channels - just get add to play next and remove when long click on the channel.
Can I also request adding a second row with up next recorded items in it?

Re-ordering favorites has to happen inside the app.

This is fixed.

This is now available in the latest beta.

Thank you. That’s super useful. Just got to report an issue with the On Now section. My second Shield Pro has not been updated. Channels started out correctly bout the next time I turned the Shield back on there were hundreds of blank tiles for 1 station (BT Sport preview that was off air) that I had to scroll through to get to my favourites.

1 Like

Strange. Did it fix itself or is still like that?

Just wanted to thank you for the On Now and DVR channel rows on Oreo. That is absolutely the best implementation of that feature I have seen so far. Excellent work.

2 Likes

Not sure if something got broken in a recent update but the ‘on now’ launcher row on my Shield is now displaying a bunch of random grey tiles same as shepherdr reported a few posts back. Mine seems stuck on a channel called London Live though rather than BT sport. I have uninstalled / reinstalled, cleared all caches and data, removed channels from favourites, but no matter what I try I still get loads of blank tiles with my actual favourites occasionally in between them.

Also is it possible to have this row update in real time like the native Live Channels row does? It is kind of defeating the purpose having to launch the app first for it to refresh the data so I can see it on my home screen when I come out of the app.