OTA Interference issues / HDHomeRun support not helpful

I tried connecting the coax to the ups, then to the tuner...and it cut all channels signal strength in half or more. And fully blocked some channels.

I will have to se about trying the grounding block and a power cable...I had of of those ground block somewhere already have those ends and cables from other projects...

I also wonder, if it is worth replacing/upgrading the Channel Master LTE filter I have.
I see on their website that they have a LTE/5G one now.
BUT, its labeled as the same model number as the one i have, CM-3201.

Also, discrepancy on their website on the product image vs the product specs listed below the image.
Image says: Pass: 5 - 608mhz Block: 609 - 3000mhz
Spec page says: Pass: 5 - 609mhz Block: 610 - 2000 MHz

The non 5G one i have has printed on it:
Pass: 5 - 599mhz Block: 600 - 2000mhz

EDIT: So i emailed Channel Master about that issue.
Decided to order the new 5g LTE filter also their High Pass filter, see if either of those, or both helps my issues at all.

I just bought this fan. It's not causing me any issues.

very well could be frequency-dependent (i.e. which channels are glitchy). My "USB Fan" issue only impacted VHF10, nothing else.

Maybe try RG11?

Can't hurt, but my fan issue persisted through RG6 quad shield everywhere. i don't think RG11 provides much more EMI protection, more physical protection, but i might be wrong there.

This?
https://www.amazon.com/Vornado-Pivot-Personal-Circulator-White/dp/B01N6WXTBH/ref=asc_df_B01JIRI8MC

FYI... In the USA (not familiar with electrical code elsewhere), the screws that attach the cover plates to switches, outlets, etc. are grounded (assuming the outlet, etc. itself is grounded). So if you're looking for a place to attach a ground wire that's a pretty safe thing to try.

1 Like

One thing to remember with signal quality is that interference is kind of 'cumulative'. I read your post over on the SD forum and understand that these devices weren't causing interference before, but it could have been that the signal was strong enough before or there wasn't enough other interference to not be overcome by the desired transmissions. So your devices, which were fine before, could now be 'tipping it over the edge'.

Have you gone through the channels using the HDHR Windows application to identify if the channels with issues are UHF or VHF only? Low power VHF signals are particularly prone to issues with interference, and it could even be something as simple as they replaced the bulbs outside of your apartment building with LED's with poorly shielded circuitry, and you can just barely get the signal before you throw your more localized interference into the mix.

1 Like

I have no LEDs that are causing issues, and no new bulbs, or new electrical devices.
These are the same devices I have had for over a year.
I have tried to remove/unplug literaly everything else in the place, and only have plugged in my networking equipment etc bare min to run the tv setup...even shutting off the other breakers. No change.

There is no "over the edge" in this case.
I get what you mean, however, i see zero signs of any low level or mild interference existing already.
The signal stats are the same on all channels as they have been since I first setup. I checked my screen shots and records i took.
All have very strong signal strength ~95%+ and quality, and do not fluctuate.
When i do my "test" ie, turn on and use the massager wand, or toggle the fans switch among its speeds, the signal stats are cut completely out, to 0% pretty much(I posted a video of it)

I have checked each channel, and they all are affected, some more so than others.
For example, 4.1 WCCO is 581mhz and 11.1 KARE is 201mhz.
11.1 seems to be more sensitive to it. The signal stats on 11.1 are more wild when the test is done, and the channel breaks up much worse than 4.1, becomes fully unwatchable or just stops entirely, whereas, 4.1, under the same test, breaks up, but manages to still play and be somewhat watchable.

Other updates.

S.D did respond, claimed they "see the errors". and linked me a beta firmware.
20210404beta1

Installed, no change. No further help so far.

Channel Master responded to my email about the discrepancy on their website about the LTE/5G Filter.

"The label was misprinted, and the correct numbers are Pass: 5 - 609mhz Block: 610 - 2000 MHz. We are working on getting this corrected on our end. The non 5g model was produced before the re-pack was completed late last year, and would allow you to receive all stations within the spectrum. I hope that this information is helpful. Thank you"

So, the New 5g filter does NOT block the 2ghz to 3ghz range, it is the same as the non 5g one, just allows a few more mhz around the 600mhz freq.

I don't use the optional amp that came with the antenna. I don't use any amp, never had. pretty sure i stated that on the S.D forms.

All but one channel is very strong signal already. An amp over powers the tuner and causes many channels to have issues with it in use. The amp also fully blocks 2 channels, that come in ok with no amp. I am about 15miles or so from my main transmitter towers. And the one that does ION channel is about 40 miles or so away.

I went through all that when i first setup things and spent nearly 2 weeks testing out various locations in my home for the antenna.

Also, I first used a Mohu Curve antenna, that came with a screw on amp as well, same as the Ranger, different casing, but think its the same internals. Anyways, I have tried both of the Mohu amps separately on the Ranger, and got similar results. It will help get ION in better 65% to 85% signal strength, but like i said, it hurts all the other strong channels.

If the shield isn't grounded it will act as an antenna to pickup any elecrtomagnetic signals, including EMI or RF.

Remember that the tuner is looking at the voltage differential between the coax center conductor and the shield.

yea. its just a in line screw in usb powered dongle thing. feels cheap

I did try a nice Channel Master amp, but had same results, even on the low setting of 17db, and returned it.

I see they now make a tiny inline 10db amp, but it has mixed reviews and i do not want to amp the full frequency range like it does.

I posted in a separate thread some time ago here, i really need a "smart" amp. One that is gain adjustable, like 1db to 20db etc, and is capable of amping only a set frequency/ specific channel independently...not just the whole blanket spectrum. But, I can't seem to find anything like that. If such thing existed, i bet it would cost a small fortune too.

One gets what one pays for.
Check out Televes https://www.televes.com/us/tv-distribution/terrestrial-antennas/intelligent-with-bosstech.html

yea. i get that, however, pretty sure that phenomenon would have manifested much early on when i first got this all setup. ALso, none of the cable tv coax in my building is grounded that i know of. I have never actually needed to grounded any antenna cable before. But, i have never paid much attention to it ill admit.

but, i cant figure why it is ONLY these select devices.
Like i mentioned, somewhere, i lost track how many places i have been posting about this, i have used many tricks and devices, right next and against the cable and antenna direct, wifi router, cb radio, other fans, there is even a window fan in the window directly beneath the antenna, none of those cause any issues.
If it was truly a ground issue, then, shouldn't i be able to reproduce the issues using other devices that are KNOWN to cause said interference issues.?

That is not quite what i mean....not a auto sensing dynamic thing, or some that have a push button that "auto optimizes" the tuned channel..

I mean one that is fully user programable, either via web UI, or a smartphone app.
Techy level programable, manual settings of each db and mhz. Maybe even show me in a graph the spectrum and detected interference, like a spectrum analyzer.
(My Ubiquiti wifi AP's already can do something similar for the wifi spectrum.)

I did find at some point some antenna that has Bluetooth and a app, but, it was still, not quite to the level I need, and more on the gimiky side of things, based on the reviews and video reviews i looked at.

EDIT: O i see they do have a amp that is programable.

but...not seeing a price...
found it on some random site via google. $400, um..yea...no. but not surprised. Also have to buy the programmer thing $200, and the software not sure on price of that.

That is good advice, for someone just setting up their OTA setup...your about 2yrs to late lol. :wink:

I did that when i first setup and tested locations and different antennas.
Still have the maps saved and did recently confirm that the towers have not moved.
I already posted saying that i know where the towers are and i am close to them.

I will add, that i dug out my Mohu Curve antenna, and hooked that up with the cheapo china coax cable it came with, no shielding at all it seems. And just sitting on my desk, it gets most channels fine with no interference issue just letting the channel play. But it has the same results in my "tests" when i engage the electrical device. And, none of those indoor antennas, are ever or even designed to be grounded it would seem.

I have a Televes Eclipse Mix in the attic and clear line of sight at 10mi but there is tree canopy in the Fresnel zone around it. Even during perfectly clear conditions, my HDHR reports to a SignalGH iPad app a signal quality drop to zero once or twice an hour on our PBS station. I can't cause it with any of our appliances or fan controllers, however. The HDHR at least handles it gracefully - maybe it loses a frame or two and a word or two. SD may have an Achilles heel somewhere they or their chip vendors don't know about. On the other hand, VSB-8 is a very fragile signal, which is why they're rushing to fix it, at our additional expense of course, with a more robust modulation format in ATSC3.

have you tried unplugging or moving the fan?

Since you don't know if the issue is caused by noise coming through the ac adapter for the HDHR, noise picked up by the antenna or coax, it's possible the noise is coming through the ac to the fan which radiates it to the antenna,

From my previous posts.
"Tried the offending devices, all of which have a electric motor, or speed switch thing in them, on a different circuit, even out in the public hallway outlet outside my unit.
No change"

Also,