Other Videos thumbnails

The thumbnails for Other Videos on my iPad are unlabelled and most have the generic color bar thumbnail, unless I configure one - get a pic, import it, assign it to the video. This is tedious at best with a large number of Other Videos. On other clients there is text below the thumbnail saying what it is. Have I missed an option or something obvious to make looking up Other Videos on the IOS client easy? (Probably).
Advice?

Can you explain what you mean by Other Videos?

We don’t have anything specifically called that.

I'm sorry, I used the name I call the folder. I'm referring to Videos i.e. not Movies and Not TV Shows. On Apple TV there are labels underneath the thumbnails, but on iOs only when the cursor hovers. If there is an option to have the labels always show under iOS I'd like to set it.
Thanks.

1 Like

Could you provide a screenshot of what you're seeing that seems incorrect. I'm not quite following.

thanks grbrock, that's exactly what I meant.

Those are Video Groups. Video Groups do not get art associated to them because there's no metadata indexer to get an image from. Individual videos get art because a frame is pulled from the video to represent it, just like in recordings and TV Show imports.

Importing Videos into Channels leaves most of the metadata up to you, that's sort of why they exist. It's a place to import things that cannot be indexed. Channels does its best to derive some things like video title and group titles based on directory names and file names, but that's about all there is. Channels has a robust metadata editor and art picker to let you upload images, as you've been doing.

This is working as designed.

Understood that it's working as designed. Not so concerned with the thumbnail images - I can customize them. I wondered if there is an option to present the text beneath each thumbnail all the time, as it shows now when a particular folder is selected. Then I wouldn't have to hover over every thumbnail just to see what it is. Similar to the display when looking at Videos under the web viewer. Yes I know the web view is for convenience, is not a primary client. On the Apple TV & IOS this would make the Videos section much easier to use.
It sounds like this is not an option, so I guess I'm done. Thanks for the responses.

This is totally understandable and we'd like to get to a place where this experience is better.

In the past, the design choice of not showing a title came from a place where EVERY item had art. As the product has evolved to items that don't always have art, it has certainly not scaled well.

We'd like to get to a place where art is auto generated when it doesn't exist, so that then there's at least titles showing instead of the placeholder image.

:+1::+1::+1:

6 Likes

Frustrated by this too. Would love to have a "show file name" option that would make channels usable for video groups. As it is it is unusable for me.

--Peter

We're working on a solution for this, starting with the web UI.

Can you try the latest prerelease (v2023.06.03.2325) and see if the images for your Other Videos are more usable?

It's taking a LONG time to generate the artwork and pegs the CPU at close to 100%.
Over one minute at close to 100% CPU to generate these three.

1 Like

Better. Still about 100% CPU, but much shorter duration to generate the images.
Less than 1 minute to generate these 12 images.

This is excellent, most helpful and I think a good solution. Thanks!

Now available on Android too:

The CPU usage issue on the web UI has been fixed.

The titled placeholder doesn't seem to be working on Android. Instead of generated title art (or the old logo placeholder), a solid black rectangle is shown. No change after clearing app cache. Seeing this issue on both Android 13 mobile and Fire TV Stick 4K.

Running the latest Android beta v2023.06.14.0017 and latest DVR pre-release v2023.06.15.2022.
I've submitted app diagnostics under 77a0b8ed-1d8a-4cae-9969-9585c9163746.

Please provide a screenshot of what you’re seeing.