Outstanding bugs on Android Beta

I've just been testing the subtitles issue again today, and for me, once I switch them on (using the API command) although they then turn off again when I am on the same channel, any subsequent channel change brings them back on. I even force stopped the app and when it restarted the subtitles came on again. I ended up having to reboot the Shield the app is running on to stop them appearing.

@anizocani Could you confirm this is on your to do list please?

It seems to have gone very quiet on the Android beta development. Is stuff still happening? @anizocani @tmm1 @maddox ?

Nothing has been happening ... I cannot think of any new features that have been added not even downloads or playlists.

Yes work is happening. You will need to be patient.

I dont mind waiting for the new features that iOS gets, but I've been struggling to even get acknowledgement of bugs that I've reported weeks ago, which is frustrating when I'm testing it, submitting diagnostics and generally trying to help improve it.

The subtitles bug is on my list but the last week has been about fixing the Out of Memory crashes and finishing up the Search rewrite. The subtitles bug doesn't fill me with Joy because I can't repro it here in the EU, none of the live TV sources available to me have subtitles

I discovered last night that the bug applies to playing recordings too. So once you've switched subtitles on and then off again, if you play a recording the subtitles come back on again. So to test the bug, you probably only need some recordings that have subtitles available. I am happy to provide you with as many as you need if it helps find the bug?

Most FTA TV in the UK has subtitles.

I think I might have to eat a bit of humble pie here regarding the subtitles bug :grimacing:

More investigation makes me think it is to do with my SATIP feeds. Some of the channels have 2 types of Subtitles, DVB and Teletext. I only ever want the DVB ones so have been leaving out the PID for the Teletext stream in my SATIP configuration. Initially this missing stream turned out to be what was caused long tuning times, but the team fixed that issue in this beta.

However, what I hadn't realised was that the system still behaves as if there are Teletext Subtitles available.

In the Quick Guide Options display these channels show 2 lines under Closed Captions:

English

eng.eng

So this is what I now think is happening by looking at what happens to the tick boxes.

First Toggle Subtitles - turns on DVB subtitles - this works fine and DVB subtitles are displayed and the "English" has a tick by it

Second Toggle Subtitles - no subtitles are displayed so it appears to have turned subtitles off but it has actually switched to Teletext subtitles and the Quick menu options shows "eng,eng" ticked.

I'm not sure why it then switched back to DVB Subtitles again when I switch channels, maybe Subtitles state is only stored as a boolean not as which version of subtitle is being displayed?

For now I have added all the Teletext Subtitles PIDs back into my SATIP config so when I toggle Subtitles I now get:

First toggle DVB Subtitles
Second Toggle Teletext Subtitles
Third Toggle Subtitles Off

So when Subtitles are off they really are off.

That explains it, this was an explicit change; before, the toggle would switch between the first subtitle and no subtitles, and now it toggles between subtitle types (so if you have EN,FR,IT, before it would be EN => None => EN => None, and if you want FR or IT, too bad!), now it's EN => FR => IT => None => EN ...

OK. I think I prefer the old system. Could the toggle behaviour become user defined? I only ever want DVB subtitles and just want toggle to turn them on and off. Also if you have a lot of subtitles to choose from you could always select directly from the options in the Quick Guide dropdown.

Also, are subtitles meant to stay on when you change channel? I can see issues with that using the new toggle system as it seems to revert to the first subtitle option when you change channel. So in your example if you had toggled through to IT subtitles on Ch 1, when you change to Ch 2 you would get EN subtitles. I can't believe that is the intended behaviour.

My preference would be for subtitles to turn off on channel change.

I don't think it will be user-defined but I do think that duplicate subtitles could be filtered out, especially if we can explicitly detect the DVB vs Teletext scenario.

So in your example if you had toggled through to IT subtitles on Ch 1, when you change to Ch 2 you would get EN subtitles. I can't believe that is the intended behaviour.

This sounds like a bug

@anizocani Ani, I have recorded a short clip from BBC1 which has both DVB and Teletext Subtitles. Do you want me to upload/sent it to you somehow for testing purposes?

I tried to use a DropBox upload link that Aman put up a while back when we were testing SATIP issues, but it has expired.

Let me see what I can do with the info I have first, then if I need extra info I'll drop you a line

i'm not following this. how are you "selecting guide" while a channel is playing

Green Button on remote is programmed to Guide in Remote Shortcuts.

Can you replicate the issue if you use the normal back button to leave the player?

Not sure. I've never done it that way. I will test it.

First go it seems not. I have just been in and out of Guide many times using back button from player without the crash.

Using the remote shortcut to go into Guide instead of back and it crashed at the second attempt.

EDIT.

This seems to be very consistent. I cannot get the Guide to crash if I use the back button from Live TV. But can guarantee it will crash within a couple of in/outs of the Guide using the remote shortcut.

I think you have pinpointed the issue.

Okay, that explains why we haven't seen it ourselves.

The crash itself is happening deep inside the Android SDK. I found several similar reports on the internet dating back 5 years, with no clear solution. Unfortunately this is a pretty typical experience developing for Android TV.

That said, we can try a few things and hope for the best. See if the latest beta (v2024.06.07.1808) makes any difference.

1 Like

Just tried it and exactly the same unfortunately.