Outstanding bugs on Android Beta

I've just updated to the latest beta (4.25.1016) I'm not sure if this now includes the big, under the bonnet/hood, alpha updates that the team have been working on?

Either way, I'm still getting the Guide freeze bug that I reported and sent diagnostics here:

Another one that I previously reported is also still there but seems to have changed slightly - the API command to navigate to Videos (/api/navigate/Videos) doesn't work correctly.

On earlier beta versions if you are watching live TV it acted as a backup button (so if you were in Guide prior to Live TV it goes to Guide rather than Videos) but if you run the command again it did go to Videos. In the latest beta it still acts as a backup button in Live TV but once back in guide subsequent commands do nothing but seem to then cause the Guide lockup bug described above. ie no navigation buttons work and it eventually crashes to OS.

Diagnostics submitted from Client (Nvidia Shield TV) 24c1d5c1-8a0a-495b-a5d4-0e3e9cc185bc

The Guide bug now seems to be completely repeatable for me:

Open Channels app. (mine is set to default to BBC1 as Start up Channel - this works fine)
Select Guide - Guide displays fine
Hit down button to highlight next channel in list (in my case BBC2)
Hit OK to select. New channel is selected and plays
Select Guide again
Guide displays but is frozen - ie no buttons produce any response and after a couple of seconds the app exits to OS

1 Like

@anizocani

Just wondering if there is any progress on these bugs? They both seem to have been there for quite a while without any fix or acknowledgement that you can reproduce them.

Anything else I can do to help with it other than the diagnostics I've already submitted?

None yet. The guide crash is next on my list but again, it is difficult to repro and depends heavily on your setup. Inconveniently, my setup never crashes like this ever!

Are you able to replicate the missing data bug that I demonstrated or is that not working on your setup either?

On that basis I have created a super simple setup for one of my clients to test. I created a new Channels Collection called Test with just 4 channels (BBC1, BBC2, ITV1, C4) from my EXIP 418 Sat-IP FTA DVB-S source. In that client I have disabled all other sources, apart from the Sat-IP one. I also disabled the Show All, Favorites, HD and Recent in Guide options for that client.

So that there are just 4 channels, within one collection, showing in the Guide.

I restarted the app and went through the procedure mentioned above with the exact same result.

I don't see how I can get my setup any simpler and this bug is 100% repeatable for me on all of my Shield clients.

I am happy to do any further testing with settings changes etc to help you get to the bottom of this and/or give you remote access to one of my clients (if that is technically possible) if you think that might help?

Nope, this completely works for me.

Can you try your repro on the latest beta rolling out? v2024.05.02.0929 is the version. This includes some changes intended to target this crash (i.e. a possible fix but I don't want to call it that because I have zero ability to confirm it did that!) as well as some extra logging information that will show up in our diagnostic info

Wooohoooo!!!! :grinning: :grinning: :grinning:

I just updated to the latest beta and it's working perfectly so far.

I'm back on my normal setup and have been in and out of guide multiple times without the issue.

I would upgrade your "some changes intended to target this crash" to "definite fix" :rofl: :rofl:

Thank you :+1:

So for someone skilled enough to fix a bug they can't replicate then the API command to navigate to Videos (/api/navigate/Videos) bug will be a walk in the park then :wink: :grinning:

to recap if you are watching live TV the command acts as a backup button (so if you were in Guide prior to Live TV it goes to Guide rather than Videos) but if you run the command again when in guide it then does go to Videos.

if you run the command again when in guide it then does go to Videos.

This bug is fixed and will be in an upcoming beta very soon. The API call will now take you directly to the videos page and will not act like a back button

1 Like

Fantastic. That's me all out of bugs now then! :grinning: :+1:

Beta v2024.05.02.1134 fixes both of these issues so I'm marking this as solved

Thanks Ani @anizocani

Can you give this a try on the latest Beta? The fix we've done may improve this but may not

@anizocani

I spoke a bit too soon unfortunately. I'm getting a crash to OS sometimes when going into Videos using the API command. It's odd because the first time I go into Videos it works fine and I can navigate around and select Videos fine. But if I then go back to Live TV and then back into Videos after that it occasionally locks up and then exits to OS (very similar behaviour to the Guide bug discussed above).

Keep using the API command and hopefully this will show up in our crash reporter, thanks for reporting back

OK. It's just this second crashed. Do you need me to submit diagnostics or is the crash report automatic?

EDIT diagnostics sent anyway just in case. 5f6226f9-d572-4824-abe4-eecf115e1518

Still only getting 25.1016

Is there a way to force latest version?

Sorry to add to your workload but I'd forgotten about this Subtitles bug that I reported a few weeks ago and happened again last night on the latest beta.