Padding Before a Manual Recording

I run Channels via a Synology NAS and access it primarily via Apple TV. In settings via media server on a web browser, I’m given the option to add padding before a recording. I do voiceovers for a living, and if I happen to catch a spot while watching live TV I want to record, I was hoping to be able to begin recording with that padding enabled and capture it. But it doesn’t appear to work that way. Any ideas?
Thanks!

Recording happens on the server, while the buffer resides on the client. So the existing buffer can’t be applied to the recording.

You are correct, it doesn’t work that way.

Thanks for taking the time to answer! So, to clarify, since I enabled the padding via my web browser, that's where it would apply? Also, the browser client doesn't appear to allow recording while watching something. So, padding would be applied only for those recordings scheduled beforehand?
And finally, since you didn't mention a way to enable a buffer to be included in a manual recording, I'm assuming that's not presently possible?
Thanks again!

I think you're mixing things together. The Padding setting has to do with how much extra is recorded before and after a recording when a recording is scheduled by a Series Pass. That setting is a default that is automatically applied to each new Series Pass that you create, though you can still adjust the Series Pass' padding individually.

Padding has nothing to do with the live TV buffer.

It is not. When you start a recording it starts from the current time. All buffers are kept on the client, the server does not have access to it.