Pass recording same "Special" multiple times

I was having trouble following what was being accomplished ... maybe I missed what the Advanced pass actually was that is being used ?

Not an Advanced Pass, it's a Series Pass for a "Special".
I just showed the Advanced view of it.
A Series Pass you set will be visible in your DVR Passes and you can select the [gear] Advanced to display it.

Here is where I created the Series Pass for this "Special"

Recording 3rd time...

Any doubts, try it out yourself.
I do like this "feature" and if the devs decide it's a bug and take it away, I want a replacement for it...

This is considered a bug. I don't understand why you would want this behavior, and I also don't understand why this entire discussion is in the advanced use cases thread.

1 Like

@tmm1 apologies. My original question from over a month ago started with asking about using CONTAINS, and the issue I was seeing where multiple of the same episode was recording. After a lengthy delay I was following up to confirm that this issue continues, that Specials are recording over repeatedly. I agree with you that this seems more like a bug.

1 Like

Was going to ask if you could move this thread since I can't do it.

I was just trying to explain why setting a Series Pass on a "Special" acts differently than doing it on an episodic series.

I consider this a benefit, not a bug, see previous post and correct me if I'm wrong.

If you consider a bug to be fixed, so be it.

Please move this thread where it belongs and thanks for responding.

1 Like

@chDVRuser Thanks for narrowing down what's going on here.

I understand that a pass to record specials is useful, but why would you want multiple recordings of the same special? The fact that it's being recorded more than once is the bug since in general the DVR tries to record things only once.

1 Like

Whether I use a regular pass, or use CONTAINS in an advanced pass, my expectations are that Channels will not record the same episode more than once, even for Specials.

I see your point about recording it multiple times being a bug.
If it recorded a partial or corrupted recording you could edit the pass to Re-record deleted episodes and then delete the bad recording.
I just didn't want it considered a bug that you could use a series pass to record specials.

Thanks for moving the thread.

1 Like

Exactly. Thank you for splitting.

Would Categories of Show AND Special catch these all?

@tmm1 just wanted to follow up on this and confirm if you guys were officially tracking this as a bug? Thanks.

The bug causing the same Special to be recorded multiple times has been fixed in pre-release build v9.8.2218

3 Likes