Pausing issues with latest update

I updated all of my Apple TVs with the latest version and I am seeing an issue when resuming playback after the screensaver. When I hit play the audio starts back up but the screen continues to show the screen saver. I have to hit the back button and then resume playback instead. Anyone else seeing a similar issue? I’m using a harmony companion remote I haven’t tried experimenting with the Apple Remote .

1 Like

Yes I have this as well on all of my appletvs.
@tmm1 this is how you repro
Pause the show
Let the screen saver kick in
Play the show
Audio of the show and video from the screensaver are present.
Click back, everything plays normal

It just started about a week or so ago. I'll roll back until the problem goes away and then let you know what release is the issue if you need me to

1 Like

Is there a specific build that doesn’t have this issue?

I’m on the stable release so I’m not sure

I think this is an apple issue. I saw it this weekend using Channels, Youtube and Infuse.
Restarting from airpods, and remote. Newest Apple TV.

@eric

It took me a while but I narrowed it down
Started with 12.28.1847, it is not present with 12.26.2200

Steps I did to repro
Appletv, match content and match hdr mode on
Res set to 4k 59.97 non hdr
Channels default video and audio driver, hardware deinterlacer

I played a 640x480 23.976fps video
Paused and left it until screensaver kicks in
Hit play while screensaver is running
Audio plays but video is hidden under screensaver
Hit back button to get out of screensaver
Can play media normally now

With 12.26.2200 and earlier versions hitting play wakes the screensaver and then you have to hit play again to play the media. (it would be nice if play would wake the screensaver and resume the media but not a huge deal)

Wow! That’s great you were able to find the regression. We’ll try to see what changed around then.

Glad to help :blush:
It feels like it is the res switching when the 4k screensaver kicks in. With the build that doesn't have the issue there is about a 4 sec mode switch that happens where the TV turns black. With the problem build there is no mode switching

Are you sure that it was introduced in that release? I'm struggling to find a change that we made in that timeframe that would impact the screen saver...

Positive. I kept going back releases 6 at a time until it worked fine. Then I started going forward release by release until I got the problem to happen again.

Okay. We'll brainstorm what craziness could have caused this that isn't obvious to me at first glance. Again, I appreciate this effort you put into finding this.

I'm verifying again here as I'm sitting in my sunroom with the TV I was testing on. It'll take about 20 min

@eric confirmed 12.26.2200 works fine. 12.28.1847 is broken

1 Like

Can you change your audio driver and see if the problem still happens?

@eric it works great with experimental audio so looks like that is the fix

1 Like

It looks like this fix caused the issue:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.