Performance issues watching Hockey-Hulu+ TVE

It's interesting to me that someone else noticed while watching hockey.. I've been impressed w/ Channels in general, but then when I started watching a hockey game, it was almost unwatchable to me.. Not that it looked bad, but the motion was just really messed up in a way I can't really describe. My 50+ year old eyes aren't what they once were, and my TV is a piece of crap on it's last legs and desperately needs replaced, so I just chalked it up to that, but I'd definitely be interested to see what happens when this gets fixed. I wont pretend to understand the technicalities of the bug, but glad someone else saw it and apparently it's known! Thanks!!

I have a theory, but don't use the typical clients everyone is having the issue on.
Try Regenerate Video Index (runs quick) on a problem recording and see if it fixes it.
Screenshot_2021-03-08 Channels Manage Recordings

Yeah, I tried to describe it with hockey, it's the only place I really see the issue. The puck is a bit smeared and jittery enough that it's almost unwatchable like you said. Gives you a headache.

Thanks I'll try that next time. I delete the recording as soon as the game is over. I've had issues watching LIVE too on Channels. When I do, I switch to the Hulu app.

I have zero issues with live hockey on NBC, NBCSN or ATT Sports (Local Feed) while viewing through Channels App on Apple TV. What’s odd is if I use the HD Homerun App, it is jittery and looks like crap.

Not sure if it matters, but I use a cable card from Xfinity with my HD Homerun and these are all cable cars tuned channels.

@Bigriffi I am experiencing this exact same thing. Watching hockey bothers my eyes, it has something to do with the stream being 30 fps instead of 60 fps. I only notice it on NBC, NBCSN channels though, both recorded through TVE as well. Back when i used my HDHomerun Prime to record using a cablecard, the recording was perfect, it seems to only be a TVE issue. It's been so bad, I subscribed to NHL.tv and watch the games on there, it plays at 60 fps and is comfortable to watch

I’ve had issues myself on my gen4 Apple TV with frames getting dropped. You can confirm if this is the issue by enabling stats during playback. It will show if frames are being dropped, and you can even correlate it to the stutters.

Thanks for the suggestion, how do you enable stats? I’ve not tried that.

It’s in the menu that pulls down when you press down arrow, in the options area.

Still have some issues, it's only with NBC SN, and NBC SN Chicago. I do get it to perform a tad better when I pause it for 10 seconds and let it buffer... Other channels, for hockey, work fine.

I am experiencing this same issue. I tried it in VLC on my Windows laptop and I think it is still there, but not as bad but that could be because I'm watching on a 17" computer monitor rather than my 120" projector. The stats say that the file is 29.97fps and the end results are very jittery and often blurry as the camera pans left and right following the hockey action. It's really unwatchable. I've played around with every setting on my TV such as "frame interpolation" that my Epson Projector has, I've turned it to 'High', turned it 'Off', and tweaked every setting I could find in the Apple TV 4K I just bought to try to fix this for the hockey playoffs. Experimental video doesn't help, neither does any other combination, I've even set the ATV's settings to exactly 29.97 fps 1080p that I thought matched the source recording, but that only seems to make it worse.
I now have a Shield Pro, an AppleTV4k, and a Firestick 4K hooked up to the same Onkyo receiver feeding my projector. They all have the same issue

I have been watching hockey on the channels web player and haven't had the stuttering issues like I had with the client app on my firestick 4k. I use a harmony hub remote via bluetooth and a wireless mouse. Haven't turned on the stick in over a month.

All video must be reprocessed (minimally remuxed, but usually the video must be transcoded, too) for the web player. By default, the streams are passed to the clients as unprocessed transport streams (excepting a remux from HLS to TS). The added processing for viewing in the web client is likely to account for this discrepancy.

"discrepancy" meaning a smoother picture in your experience with the web browser? That continues to be mine, regardless of the technical speak.