Performance issues watching Hockey-Hulu+ TVE

Guys, trying to figure this out: When watching hockey, via TVE, over channels from Hulu+, I get performance issues. It seems jittery, it's almost imperceptable, but the puck smears and it seems like the frame rate is let's say 25 FPS when human perception is 30. I'm guessing a little here, but it doesn't feel like MPEG errors as I've see those too. If I stop using channels, and go to the Hulu app, it's fine. NO jittery picture jumps and no smearing of the puck (or losing puck between frames). It kinda gives you a head ache when you watch it over channels.

I've got a career in networking so I'll throw out my theory. The stream is pulled over the internet thru my gigabit network (mostly wired to clients) to the Channels on my Synology, then it also runs over the same wired (switched of course) gigabit wired network to my Apple TV gen 4 (wired) and runs via Channels app there. IF I use Hulu app, it runs from the internet, thru my network straight to my Apple TV. Hence not over my network twice (router >> switch >> Synology >> switch >>Apple TV), but rather router >> Switch>> AppleTV.

That said, supporting 5-10 Mb/s video streams shouldn't be a problem on a gigabit network right? BTW, I am usually recording said hockey game too. What can I do to get more diagnostics (not sure what to do on the AppleTV). I realize on the browser GUI I can see the diagnostics on the Channels DVR server screen.

Please offer any thoughts. Attached a few current screen shots.

Download the mpg file and play it with VLC. Does it have the same issue?

I don't have that file any more, but this happens consistently. I'll record tonight's hockey game, and try to watch it live too (this is when it really happens) and then play it via VLC. I assume you mean download it to my mac, and play it w/VLC on the mac. Also, sometimes is too jittery to even watch, I pause the stream, and restart it. Sometimes that works, sometimes not. If I switch to the Hulu app, it's fine, pause or not. Thanks for the quick reply. I presume downloading it and playing after the fact with VLC will help you/us determine if the file is ok, been recorded fine etc.

Which channel is this from btw? Yea it would be helpful to know if the file itself was recorded okay or not. It probably was. You can also check on the DVR web UI under Support > Logs, for the [MTS] line printed after the recording is completed. That will show if there were any problems during the recording process.

The channel is NBC Sports Chicago. Thanks for your help.

Apple TV gen 4 only has 10/100 wired ethernet, but 1000Mbps wifi. Could this be part of the problem?

Interesting, I do not know. My Apple gen 4 in the kitchen is Wifi, I've got a really good network, it's what I do for a living.

What does the MTS log line say?

The ATV4 indeed only has 100mbps Ethernet. But network speed is not usually related to playback frame rate issues.

is this it?

2021/02/27 21:45:02.948261 [MTS] Statistics for "TV/NHL Hockey/NHL Hockey Detroit Red Wings at Chicago Blackhawks 2021-02-27-1854.mpg": skipped=0 unhandled_packets=0 discontinuity_detected=0 transport_errors=0 invalid_pts=0 invalid_dts=0 saw_pcr=true saw_pmt=true highest_pts=10242.394933

1 Like

Yep. No errors, so all good there.

The video itself is only 29.97fps, so it seems like they're deinterlacing and sending only 30fps instead of 60fps.

Do you see the same issues in VLC during playback?

I had a tough time getting VLC to load it off the Synology, on my work Macbook. I did play it with the native video player within the Synology and it seemed fine. I also watched another live game last night, recorded it and watched it live, and had the same problems. I paused it for like 5 seconds then started it again and it was better. Not sure what that means. BTW, when I open VLC and attempt to navigate to my Synology, VLC starts the first audio file it finds, plays it, but the GUI locks up, I have to force quit, but then it happens again, exactly the same way. I guess I was trying to avoid downloading a 6 GB file to my local HD. I could try that later.

I can say that anything that is played in the NBC Sports channel has this issue. Not just hockey. Any other channel playing any sport has no issues. I personally relate it to nbc sports

Just going to throw this out there as something to try.
When watching live or recorded I always pause 10-15 secs at the beginning to let it buffer a little.
More so with Live.

Rebooting the device seems to help a bit too...

Rebooting the synology?

Synology is not a device. That would be the server.

I know that! What are you suggesting I reboot! The HDHOMERUN device? The Apple TV what? Be specific.

The client device.

The issue is recording TVE in general. I'm having the same jittery issue as OP. I've tried both my Synology and Pi4 servers to my ATV 4K. I've watched the files directly on VLC and no issues. Watching the same file on ATV from either server introduces jitter. Watching a non-TVE recorded file is fine (ie OTA or Locast). Watching live TV via OTA or TVE is fine. The problem is ONLY when recording TVE. This has been discussed on other threads and I'm sure our magical devs have it on their to do list :smile:

1 Like