Periodic disk access

Is there something in the DVR that wakes up every hour and decides whether there’s something to do?

I can’t point definitively to the DVR as causing this - but I’m pretty sure it’s the culprit. I’ve noticed that since installing it, every hour my NAS disks will spin up. It was consistent enough that I set the spin-down timeout to 2 hours, so they wouldn’t constantly spin up and down every hour (they just run 24/7 now, as they’re never left alone for 2 hours).

In a perfect world, I would prefer the DVR maybe consolidate its disk access somehow, and maybe try not to wake up as often? Not a big deal, as I can just keep them running - but if I knew they’d only come up say every 4 hours, I could change my settings and conserve a little power.

Good catch, should be an easy fix.

1 Like

This bug is fixed in the latest version v2017.01.30.2232. Thanks for reporting and for sending the stack trace!

I see in the release notes that the DVR now wakes up for maintenance every 3 hours instead of every hour. Which is certainly better.

But it still wakes up the disks a lot. I’m not really understanding why the DVR needs to do anything every 3 hours…is there something I’m missing? It obviously downloads guide data once a day. But for other times - if I haven’t made any recording changes, no recordings are scheduled in the next few hours, and I don’t have new guide data, what does the DVR need to do every 3 hours?

By the way, all those questions are of course rhetorical. :slight_smile: At the end of the day, I would just like it to wake up the disks less often, if possible!

1 Like