Picture Freezes

The readings varied but the last one was:
Modulation Lock 8vsb
Signal Strength 61%
Signal Quality 75%
Symbol Quality 100%
It happens on any channel coming off the HDHR. All available channels here are UHF. I wish I could watch the HDHR DATA rate live but I have to hit refresh to see it change. It happens when the rate is far below 10 and does not always happen when it is at 11 or 12. I can fire up all the tuners or just use one (normally only use one) and it does it either way. I do see the network message every once and a while but maybe only 1 time out of 10.

The Switch is a TrendNet TPE-1620WS switch and the port is running at 100 Mbps Full Duplex. The HDHR shows it is running at 100 as well.

19700101-00:00:00 System: reset reason = power on
19700101-00:00:02 System: network link 100f
19700101-00:00:03 System: ip address obtained: 192.168.0.45 / 255.255.255.0

I guess I got depressed. I’ll try again tomorrow. Thanks

Although the OTA tuners only do 100Mbps, I had problems with my HDHR Prime (1000Mbps) and tried a few different switches until I settled on a Netgear ProSafe GS108. It's been up and running continuously with no issues since I bought it 4.5 years ago. Think I paid $45 for it.

It should update on the dvr web UI activity section every few seconds with tuner sharing on

Would you mind telling me exactly how to do this? I can’t seem to find this on the menus. Thanks

Are you looking at the dvr web UI on your Synology?

Something else that hasn't been mentioned.
Does it happen on all clients with tuner sharing on and off?

Really think it's the switch or a network connection.

The problem I had with my Prime years ago with Trendnet and D-Link switches was with streaming from the Prime. Once I put the 8 port Netgear ProSafe switch in, the trouble went away. That was just after SD fixed the problem with the Prime where it kept loosing its dhcp lease.

I’m having a hard time believing it is my switch. My switch is not a consumer grade but a rack mounted 16 port managed switch nevertheless I plugged in my old Cisco switch a few minutes ago so I can eliminate that as the cause. Took me a while to find the shared setting. It was not the caus3 it paused within a few minutes after switching it. It does happen on all my clients. Thanks for the ideas. I will try any you send me. :slight_smile:

Can you reproduce the issue in the official HDHR app?

If you have made any recording from the HDHR source, look in the DVR log for the [SNR] Statistics line when the recording ended.

2021/08/29 22:04:00.143734 [SNR] Statistics for "TV/The Machines That Built America/The Machines That Built America S01E08 Home Tech Revolution 2021-08-29-2100.mpg": ss=90%-91% snq=99%,95%-100% seq=100% bps=3898815,470752-6561952 pps=346,20-568

It shows minimum and maximum values seen during the recording for these
ss=90%-91% Signal Strength
snq=99%,95%-100% Signal Quality
seq=100% Symbol Quality
bps=3898815,470752-6561952 Bitrate
pps=346,20-568 Network packets/second

EDIT to add: values are MIN-MAX, for those with three it's AVG,MIN-MAX
It polls the HDHR every 2 seconds for these stats during a recording Improvements to recording statistics

Sheldon,

I’ve seen you on the SiliconDust forum. I know they don’t believe me over there. But I had this exact same problem. I narrowed it down by removing everything off of my network except the HDHR Prime and it was definitely the problem.

I found a post on Reddit where SD support recommended overriding the port on the network switch from auto negotiation to 100Mbps. I know it requires a managed switch but I swear it fixed this problem.

Try it if you can.

I’m not sure why it works but it does.

The PRIME has a different networking chip than the CONNECT and is known to be extra picky.

1 Like

You don't need a managed switch. If you're willing to sacrifice an Ethernet cable to the process, clip the blue and brown wire pairs in the cable; that will force 100Mbps, as both of those wire pairs are necessary for GbE.

Several years ago when the Prime firmware had really bad Ethernet issues, I resorted to making crippled Ethernet cables to force 100Mbps, as it was the only way to get the Prime's networking stack to acknowledge a DHCP offer.

SD's support is hit-or-miss. Personally, I find their support subpar. YMMV.

1 Like

Sorry, my wife’s birthday so I had to pull off the trouble shooting. I replaced the switch with my old Cisco 10/100 and used new CAT6 cables. Ran a full hour without issue so I thought yippee but as I was doing the dance of joy…… you guessed it. It happened again.

I will catch up with the above posts tonight when I get home and try some of the suggestions. Sure is frustrating! Thanks again.

I wish SiliconDust would admit when they have a problem. I’m sure they see a lot of issues and probably the vast majority are enduser issues that when the issue is the HDHR they have a hard time admitting it. I pulled the full diagnostics from my switch watched the errors roll in from the HDHR port. I tried every settings but the errors would not stop. Surprisingly the only two ports that had errors logged were the two ports the HDDR was plugged into. Anyway, I made a support ticket and hopefully they will help me. I had the Network Admin from the State of Minnesota Colleges help me. (I was in deeper than my skill level so I was happy for the help.)

Sorry I missed this. Yes, it happens with just their app.

Wow. Glad you were able to capture some real data. If you don't hear back on your ticket in a few days let me know and I can try to push it up.

Good luck getting SD to listen. When I had a support ticket, they silently closed it and refused to respond to my emails for nearly 3 months, despite me regularly sending network data and captures.

In any case, I wish you luck!

Let me guess, this issue almost exclusively happens in channels in the 450-650ish MHz range? My hdhr5-4k pixelates bad in that range even though it’s on the same antenna and network feed as my Quattro. The Quattro has no problems solid as a rockwith all channels. I ended up hiding those channels on the 4k and still hidden today. Could never figure it out Good news is no problems with atsc3 channels in that band. Please keep us posted on this.

Sheldon. Found a new tip on AVS forum. Kind of counterintuitive but they suggested isolating the HDHR on its own switch. This has helped my performance. I dunno if it isolates all those errors it is throwing on the switch?

Solved!
Thank you all for your help. I really appreciate you.
I tried all your recommendations but nothing seemed to help until I figured out how to read the statistics on my managed switch. It showed massive Ethernet errors coming from my HDHomeRun. My switch was running for nearly three years and only one port reported issues. (Guess which port…) Once I sent that report to SiliconDust they sent me a new HDHomeRun at no cost and I mailed the bad one back to them for them to diagnose. It now works perfectly as advertised and my wife and I are so happy. After going through this I can see why SiliconDust was unsure the problem was theirs. There are so many variables and things going on that could cause or contribute to the issue. I tried three different antennas and two different locations, replaced the coax cables from the antenna and even the inside cabling. I tried three different splitters, no splitters, two different

attenuators, I even tried the SiliconDust LTE filter. Three different switches including isolating them, and manually configured the port every possible setting including Auto, 100 full duplex, 100 half duplex, jumbo packets on and off, flow control on and off and replaced countless Ethernet cables to mention only a few things I tried. Anyway, I’m glad it is working now. I should add that SiliconDust called me afterwards to tell me they had shipped a new unit to me and apologized for some slow response times as they were in the process of moving some offices. So thank you everyone. Have a great day!

2 Likes