Picture Quality

I am having some issues with the picture quality worsening the longer I watch. If I just run antenna directly to TV, the quality is perfect with no issues. But when I use my HDHomeRun with the Channels DVR app, i get more and more pixelation and it becomes unwatchable. This started happening when I made a few changes to my network.

1. I switched from xFinity to Century Link. I was thinking that the download mbps wouldnt matter ( xFinity is faster than Century Link ) since this should all be running on my local network. Is that true?

2. I bought a new dual band router to help with the speed on wifi. Previously I just had one band.

So basically the quality of the picture begins to worsen as more people start using the wifi. So if I am watching Channels on one apple TV, then someone starts streaming netflix on another Apple TV and maybe someone is using the PS4 to stream video games. We are all on the same band.

So first, does anyone else have this issue? Is this a common thing? And second, is there a way to change the way I am connecting to channels to make it more efficient.

1. No, your ISP and bandwidth doesn't matter

2. I'd guess your new dual-band WiFi router isn't doing you any favours.

For reference, a test I did, recently: Problem with single ATV4K

In my experience, common, consumer-grade WiFi routers do not perform well in any respect, which is why I neither use nor recommend them.

That being said: Which band, 2.4GHz or 5GHz, is everything connected on? If it's 2.4GHz, understand that 2.4GHz has less available bandwidth and is more susceptible to interference. If 5GHz, understand that 5GHz loses strength with distance more quickly than 2.4GHz, and penetrates barriers less readily.

Also, cable signals in the coax, and data streams in transit over wifi, can both be affected by environmental interference. This includes (but is not limited to) things such as cell phone signals, microwaves, other overlapping wifi signals (from your neighbors). HD TV streams are bandwidth heavy, latency sensitive.

The best way to improve your network to get the best performance is to hardwire everything with Cat5e/Cat6 ethernet cables, use gigabit switching equipment, and if possible isolate your TV/media needs onto its own subnet or network segment. All of that may be a bot much, but getting rid of wifi and going hardwired is the single best thing you could do to improve performance (across the board).

Hey guys thanks for the quick suggestions.

@jseymour I am running all the apple TVs on the 5GHz band, along with all the other apple TVs in the house. All other devices are on the 2.4 GHz. the reason I went to a dual band is because the out of the box modem/router you get from century link is no good, so I needed to spend some money on a good one

@racameron I did wonder if the location was causing me issues.

Basically I have the modem from century link, and then I plugged in the new router to get the better wifi signal. I have the HDHomeRun plugged into the new router and all apple TVs are connected to wifi on that. The location of the modem is not great in terms of being able to hard wire everything, I agree this probably could solve my issue, just probably not possible.

But I will test it with one of the ATVs to see if that works. One question tho. If I were to hard wire my apple TV into the modem, and the HDHomeRun is hard wired into the router, would the ATV still be able to pick it up?

Thanks again

Then the question is: How big is the home, where is the WiFi router and where are the ATVs? WiFi performance drops with signal strength.

Also: What brand and model of WiFi router?

As I wrote: Most consumer-grade WiFi routers simply aren't all that great. We've had more than one person come in here with issues that were solved by getting their stuff off such devices.

People are going to get tired of seeing this, if they haven't already, as I've repeated it many times: My network design mantra: Routers to route, switches to switch, access points for WiFi and don't use common, consumer-grade hardware.

To that I'd add: Use Ethernet (hardwire) to the extent possible. Certainly for HDHR tuners and for DVRs.

Also, to minimize interference, try to keep a 2ft clearance around your equipment that is subject to interference. (So, keep your tuners and access points at least 2 feet away from other electronic equipment, including each other. In many situations this isn't practical/feasible, but any separation is better than none.)

Hey guys, just to follow up here.

While I wasnt able to hard wire all apple TVs, I did move things around and hard wired the HDHR, the Channels DVR, and one of the Apple TVs into the router, and had no issues last night while all others were streaming. So yeah, the simplest solutions is typically the best.

On the Apple TV that is located in the lower level of the house ( the modem and router is located on the top floor ), I am still connected to the Wifi and it also did pretty good last night as well, most likely because there wasnt that much activity pulling from the router at the time I tested. Which is normal.

Thanks again for the advice

2 Likes

@rmcwill If you have coax running down there, consider getting some Moca 2.0 adapters. They route your network over your existing coax cable. I personally use them and most users see 600-800mbps. They're an amazing, cheap, and quick way to route traffic to places around your house to get devices like this on a hard wire and reliable.

hey @maddox , thanks for that tip. Looking at this now. So right now I have the antenna coming in from the wall, then that is connected to the HDHR and the HDHR is plugged into the router.. So typical setup.

If I got 2 moca adapters, would I basically do the following?

1. run coax from the wall to one of the Moca adapters, then the coax would split there and go to the HDHR ( so basically put it before the HDHR ). Plug the Moca into the router along with the HDHR.

2. Put the other moca box next to the TV on the main floor ( where there is coax ), plug the coax into that and plug the Apple TV into that Moca adapter?

YEP!

You can even plug moca adapter -> switch if you needed to get more devices on ethernet.

You can even then plug in a wifi access point to boost the wifi downstairs for other non-tethered devices.

I just setup MoCA at my house too and am getting 800mbps over it!

Note that if you have spitters you'll want to make sure they're moca 2 compatible (5-1675Mhz), and you'll probably want to install a MoCA filter where the cable line comes in, to make sure your data doesn't leak out and that your neighbor's moca/tivo system doesn't interfere with your home network.

So right now I have the outdoor HD Antenna connected to where the cable used to come into the house, and its directly connected to the coax that goes to the room where the HDHR and Router is. So I shouldnt have anything going out at that point.

I will give this all a try and report back to the thread. Thanks a lot everyone