PiP: one-button stop + back?

I love the PiP feature, but I think I might be missing something: is there a way to exit the live or recorded full screen stream and stop the stream?

I find that about 50% of the time (or more), I want to exit the full screen TV show I'm watching and end playback at the same time, so there’s no PIP. The only way I can find to do this with PiP on is to press back, then press the “TV” button, then press the X glyph on the PiP controls to close the PiP.

Conversely, is there a way that I can turn off PiP in settings and then press a button on the Apple TV remote to send the currently playing video to the PiP?

1 Like

With certain TVs and TV remotes you could map the colored keys to PIP and control it that way. Unfortunately with the stock remote there's not a lot of options.

It's also possible via the API, so you could use a Shortcut on an iOS app to send the toggle pip command to the TV

Settings > Playback > Picture in Picture. Set both to "Off", and then during playback if you tap the touch surface to bring up the timeline, there is a button above it to send the currently playing item to PiP.

1 Like

Ok that sounds maybe like a better way to go. I also noticed that if you pause recordings before hitting back, the PiP doesn’t launch, which is not one-button but not the end of the world.

I use a Flirc with my Shield and Harmony remote which adds a number of keyboard commands for use with Channels. One of those is "Stop" which stops the video stream and exits to the guide or whichever menu item you were on. If you were watching a recording, it takes you to the "manage recording" screen.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.