Pixelated recordings

Hello all,

So I’ve recently developed a problem with my recordings, any new recordings i try and watch ( doesn’t matter what device, I primarily watch on apple tv4, but watch on iPad Pro and Nvidia shield) they are all pixilated and skip playback.
I was using my 2012 Mac mini as a server. Today i went back to the Nvidia shield as a server and the most recent recording has done the same? Could this be a network issue? Bandwidth?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Kieron

Are they being recorded from OTA, Cable or TVE?

If it's OTA or Cable, there are server logs at the end of the recording starting with [SNR] will provide info useful to us to see if there are any signal issues.

OTA, watching the channel live works fine as I thought it might’ve been a signal issue with the channel but i don’t think its that... here is the log line

Statistics for "TV/Emmerdale/Emmerdale 2020-02-25 2020-02-25-1900.mpg": ss=97%,95%-99% snq=95%,49%-100% seq=100%,12%-100% bps=3156896,1251328-15076096 pps=300,0-1432

1 Like

Here’s an image of the distortion I’m experiencing, the sound is still present and correct just picture

This looks like your problem. Your signal-to-noise quality (snq) is dropping down to 49% at times during that recording; also, your symbol error quality (seq) was all the way down to 12%.

SiliconDust defines these specific numbers as:

The seq is the most important one in this context, as those are errors in the stream. The lower that number goes, the worse the stream.

So in laymen terms how would I go around to fix that, cheers

1 Like

In general, it usually indicates some type of interference. Is you tuner near any other electronic equipment, such as a router or wireless access point? If so, try moving the tuner away from other equipment.

Also, it could be related to the type of antenna. You may need a different antenna. One situation may be that the channel you are trying to receive is VHF, but you only have a UHF antenna.

1 Like

Nice TV back-lighting though :slight_smile:

Haha thanks, Philips ambilight tv :wink:

Also, perhaps an inline filter on the coax may help, such as one geared towards filtering LTE signals or similar.

(Personally, I've never experienced the problem, so I'm relying upon anecdotal solutions. However, since this is actually a problem with the output from the HDHomeRun and not really related to Channels, perhaps more help could be found at SiliconDust's forums instead. After all, the problem is hardware, not software.)

1 Like