Pixelation on apple tv 4k

Hi!

First of all, thank you for a very well designed and user friendly app - thumbs up!

I get pixelation when I watch tv through the Channels app on apple tv 4k. I’ve troubleshooted every conceivable part of my setup and can not understand what I’m doing wrong. My hdhomerun hdhr3-eu is connected right next to my antenna outlet with a very short double-shielded cord and no contact to other wires. It is connected with a cat 6 cable directly to the router and another cat 6 cable directly to my apple tv 4k. I get 98-99% in signal strength, 100% steady in signal quality and symbol quality. The same thing happens when I test the signal in both vlc and hdhomeruns own app on my stationary PC also connected with a cat 6 cable.

Another thing is, I am not able to see Tv3puls in the hdhomerun windows app or on my apple tv. However, the channel gets mapped in the setup program and i works in VLC if i click on the “CH658 - 7070” tune number?
I live in Denmark and use yousee as a supplier, so I set the search to run on qam 64, 128 and 265 at the same time - all 3 with a symbol rate of 6875.

Thank you in advance.

I just tried connecting my apple tv directly to the hdhomerun with an ethernet cable. No pixel error occurred and I was suddenly also able to watch Tv3puls, but there were no thumbnails of what was broadcasting on TV (I guess this information comes from the internet). I then connected the apple tv back to my old setup and tried to recreate this by selecting “EPG from DVB”, but it did not work out. When I select “DVB from Gacenote” it’s all the more messy and the channel logos do not fit the channels. With “EPG from Silicon Dust” the logos are about the right places, but the information does not always match. Any ideas?

Sounds to me like the router’s the problem.

I don’t know what you have available there in DK, but here in the US one can buy a good 5-port GigE network switch for as little as $35 off Amazon. $50 if you want a managed switch. (NetGear ProSafe, both.)

That’s what I’d do.

It is, and always has been my practice and advice, where networking is concerned, to divide and conquer. My router routes, and that’s all it does. (And I do mean my router. I don’t use the CableCo’s cablemodem for routing.) My WiFi AP is just a WiFi AP. LAN switching is handled by capable network switches.

I also never use common consumer-grade networking gear. That stuff is all built in a race-to-the-bottom manner. My networking gear is all prosumer, commercial or carrier grade.

1 Like

We recommend using EPG from SiliconDust. This is the same data as you will see in their official apps. If there is some accuracy issue please report it to them with your device id and they can fix it.

Thank you for the advice. Unfortunately, I’m not able to use my own router directly. I have to put my ISP router in “bridge mode” and connect my own through it. I am using a GL.iNet GL-AR750, which I had and did not use for the time being. I have also set a 5-port GigE network switch from Netgear, to handle the traffic. It made great improvements to my NAS and pretty much everything else on my network, unfortunately, it did not fix my pixel problem on Apple TV. I then connected my apple tv via 5ghz wifi and that solved my problem! Unfortunately, the connection is not nearly as fast between my apple tv and my NAS as it was with ethernet connection.
Is there any kind of option I can change on my GL-AR750 router to get the signal from hdhomerun to apple tv optimized or is it simply just noise on my ethernet cable?

Try connecting both the HDHR and the ATV to your switch instead of the router.

That is what I did :slight_smile: I also tried pulling the internet cable from the switch, but with no luck.