Pixelation on Bottom of Picture

I have two HDHomeRun Prime's and I'm getting pixelation at the bottom portion of the picture. It's only happening on cable channels (Disney, FX, USA, etc) and not my local channels (ABC, CBS, NBC, etc). I had my cable company come out to check my levels and all levels are healthy. I've worked with Silicondust support to troubleshoot if it's a hardware or firmware issue and they advised it's a software issue. The discussion I had with them is here:

https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=113&t=73863&sid=9b7835abc585aad107eace23860bfed6

I've done the following testing and here are my findings.

• On Apple TV 4K with both the Channels app and the Plex app, the pixelation occurs on the Disney channel.

• On Roku TV with both the HDHomeRun app and the Plex app, the pixelation does NOT occur on the Disney channel.

• On MacBook Pro in Google Chrome watching live tv from Plex, the pixelation occurs on the Disney channel.

• On MacBook Pro in Google Chrome watching live tv from Channels DVR website, the pixelation does NOT occur on the Disney channel.

• On iPhone Xs Max with both the Channels app and the Plex app, the pixelation occurs on the Disney channel.

Is this issue caused by a software change in recent months? This didn't happen until a few months ago.

Please post a photo of the issue, and email the sample recording to [email protected]

I've just sent a sample recording to [email protected].

I don't see any pixelation in that recording. Please post a photo of what you're seeing.

I'm sorry, maybe I'm using the wrong term. The bottom section of the picture will duplicate or tear the image occasionally. I've attached some images of what I'm referring to in the video I sent you.

Please try the beta app from getchannels.com/beta

I just downloaded the beta app on my Apple TV and it's still pixelating. I tried the experimental video driver too and it's still happening.

Thanks for testing

Can you try playing the mpg in VLC on a computer and see if it's there too

I just played the MPG in VLC on my MacBook Pro and I'm seeing the same issue at the same spots provided in the screenshots above.

Very interesting. Does it happen in the hdhomerun desktop app?

No, it doesn't happen on their desktop app or their Roku app.

What about iOS or Android? (SD doesn't have tvOS apps, and Channels doesn't have Roku or Windows apps.)

It's hard to track something like this when it's not only different apps, but also different platforms/OSs. The more similarities between working and not makes it easier to find the problem.

So I just downloaded the HDHomeRun app on my iPhone (can't believe I didn't try this before) and it's pixelating on it. This leads me to believe it could still be a problem on Silicondust's side. I'm going to add this finding to my Silicondust thread on their forum to see if they can investigate. I'll keep you posted.

Do you have a cable STB? If it happens on their equipment (using a CableCARD STB, not an IPTV STB), then the issue is the feed. If it only happens with the Prime, but not the CableCARD-based STB, then the issue is most likely the Prime.

Unfortunately, I don't have a STB. I only have two Prime's with CC's.

Well, after seeing the response from SD in their forum, I don't think the STB comparison is necessary. The problem has been identified, so more information will be dependent upon them.

It looks like my topic in the HDHomeRun forum was deleted and it had a link to the FFmpeg reported issue. Does anyone know the status of this issue and can it be addressed in the Channels app?

@tmm1, I found the ticket you opened on FFmpeg's website.

https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/8792

Would it be possible to put in a temporary fix within the Channels App until FFmpeg fixes the root cause?

I'm kinda afraid that change might break video from other stations. I was hoping to get more clarity from other ffmpeg developers on that ticket but no luck. I'll take another look and see if I can make sense of it.

@tmm1, thank you so much for looking into this again. I completely understand that the ideal solution would be for FFmpeg to correct this issue. I tried to find workarounds like watching TV from the HDHomeRun app or Plex app, but they all must use FFmpeg. My family loves watching TV from the Channels app because it's the most user-friendly and polished app. Thanks for providing such a great app and for the great support!

1 Like