Pixellation & Stuttering - TVE

Just wanted to point out that it's Intel Celeron N3060 is a low-end Intel Celeron Dual Core non-multithreaded mobile chipset designed for low-end mobile devices and may work great on low end laptops/tablets.

Thanks

Yes I do know. Thatā€™s why I was asking @tmm1 about upgrading to Synology DS918+

Iā€™m also experiencing this issue on recordings from all channels using NVidia.

I ran clean-up on the Qnap and checked all parameters I knew how to check. Did a firmware update.

And tried a new recording ... same type numbers as before. And no CPU spike as per check @chDVRuser suggested.

Tomorrow PM, Iā€™ll load up Channels DVR on my iMac and then check a couple.

Also, have to investigate a disparity between Channels reporting of free space and Qnap stats.

Iā€™ll let you know.

Dont think you could go wrong with a Synology DS918+.
That's what I was looking at to replace my aging DS1513+, but held out until the DS1019+ was available.
They have pretty much the same specs (CPU that is, not memory or drive bays).

1 Like

Thank you

@Edwin_Perez what NAS/PC are using to run Channels DVR? Just curious as you donā€™t seem to have problems with live/recorded streams from Xfinity TVE?

TIA

I have no issues with either of my Synology NAS's.
The only issue I have with running ChannelsDVR on a Synology is that it runs as root user.
Meaning any issues with libraries or code not under the dev's control (or if the dev's want control), it has total access to your NAS which is not good from a security perspective.
It has been mentioned many times that the Synology Package needs to be re-written to run under a less-privileged user account and appears to be on their long-list to look at sometime...
Something about not being able to use hardware transcoding if not running as root.

Always compromises :smiley:

I run it on a DS218+ and itā€™s hassle-free.

I have the SYNOLOGY (DS1019+) with 5 4TB WD NAS drives ... Volume type SHR, I also run Plex on it and HDHomeRun DVR beta testing. Also running a Windows 10 VM.

It just works I have it so it autoupdates to the latest Channels DVR Betas.... no manual Intervention. It was an expensive Investment but well worth it. It has replaced all my Servers.... no longer run large desktop severs. I upgraded it to 16GB Ram.

1 Like

Thanks...>$200 additional investment over the $470 for DS918+ soooo a bit rich for my needs.
Since @chDVRuser stated that CPU is closely comparable in specs, then I really want to know:

How long does it take your DS1019+ to process/comskip a 1hr HD file?

That is also a great NAS .....

019/07/27 22:01:01 [DVR] Running commercial detection on file 3114 (TV/Beat Shazam/Beat Shazam S03E05 2019-06-17 Daddydaughtertime 2019-07-27-2059.mpg)
2019/07/27 22:11:53 [DVR] Commercial detection finished with 12 markers.

When did it start? Then I can see how long it took

Nevermind :thinking:

Duh! Reading comprehension skill is lost this late/early

@DebbieFL Iā€™m running channels on similar hardware (QNAP HS-251+) with Xfinity in SW Florida and not seeing the issues youā€™re describing. Are you running a lot of additional services on your NAS? Iā€™m pretty much only running Channels and Plex. While a beefier processor would be nice (commercial detection for a 1 hr show takes about 30 min), Iā€™m not sure that is what is causing your issues...

Thanks for posting results for the 251+.

Three (3) very similar results (30m for 1hr file) for the ds218+, 251+ and 251A tend to support that processor is not the cause (as you stated) and that something else is wrong with my network/Qnap 251A (as @tmm1 stated).

I will be running a few more tests to try to identify the root cause before just throwing new hardware on my system. Thanks for your suggestion.

I tested on the i-Mac and it was perfect.

Still doing some more testing

@DebbieFL. I have both the DS1019+ and the DS918+. My wife is on the 1019 and I am on the 918 (great setup). Both use the same CPU. I also added Cache Memory to both because it was cool :slight_smile: Not sure how much improvement it is. I have 4 of 5 drives in the DS1019+ and only 2 drives in the DS918+. Wanted room for expansion. I also run PLEX on the DS1019+ which I share with my kids remotely. I also use the DS1019+ as my primary offsite backup for the office and I use the DS918+ as the local backup for the DS1019+. I have 2 Synology devices at the office. So I am sold on these devices.
I do have 1 remote Channels user that is on multiple hours per day playing KTLA CH5. And it is OTA MPEG2. Since my upload is 200mbps we do not use transcoding. I have ask @tmm1 to add KTLA (free and no logon) so I could at least use MPEG4 but seems not a priority. I have 4 families (maybe more) that would probably add Channels DVR if they would support LOCAL Channels including KTLA. Not sure why the resistance. Nobody I know is keen on getting OTA.

We do not record a lot but here is one example. Looks like 45 minutes for a 1 hour show.

2019/07/30 18:00:00 [DVR] Processing file-8: TV/Tucker Carlson Tonight/Tucker Carlson Tonight 2019-07-30 2019-07-30-1700.mpg
2019/07/30 18:00:00 [DVR] Running commercial detection on file 8 (TV/Tucker Carlson Tonight/Tucker Carlson Tonight 2019-07-30 2019-07-30-1700.mpg)
2019/07/30 18:45:58 [DVR] Commercial detection finished with 14 markers.

EDIT: No Pixellation here. My wife is on it a lot and she is happy with Channels DVR TVE. Live is good again :slight_smile:

1 Like

I will continue to investigate after the kinks are worked out on:

Included on this thread is a favorable posting on using DS 218+, which does have a higher rating on Passmark, hence the root cause is likely not enough CPU processing power on Qnap 251A.

My firm belief is my inability to achieve positive results is not due to a failing NAS