Planning a new build of Channels DVR Server... Advice please

Would you be willing to share what steps need to be taken to do this? I assume there will be a URL to get the .m3u which I can then save.. but is it as simple as opening that file in VLC? I’ve used direct channel URLs to open channels in VLC so I know how to do that but this sounds much better.

curl http://X.X.X.X:8089/devices/ANY/channels.m3u?format=ts -o tv.m3u

Replace the Xs with your server's IP address.

Yes. It will start playing the first channel in the list immediately, but then you can open the playlist view and selectively choose which channel you want.

6 Likes

This is fantastic! Got it working today. I’ll probably make a second feature request thread expanding on this, as I don’t want to derail the thread.

1 Like

What more could you want that isn't currently available?

Making it easier to use for the “average Joe.” I’m wondering if there couldn’t be an option in the experimental section to enable The DVR server to generate and perhaps refresh it on an interval. It could provide the file for download, or maybe even serve it via HTTP, if VLC can take it in that way? It seems like a great solution for those clamoring for a Windows or Linux client. Seeing all the channels and even being able to search them is nice, and it doesn’t require transcoding like the web player does. Seems like it might be an easy win. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

1 Like

Something like this?

1 Like

More or less. :grin:

Start that new topic and one of use can move this conversation to it..
I assume you also want a download recording link for some reason.

Channels DVR server runs Great on an old PC or even a Rasberry Pi 4

an inexpensive Arm Based NAS would be even better , more flexible

of the great things about it is that its very efficient on the both the server side and the client side

a 2nd Gen Fire Stick runs the channels app flawlessly for me

It really depends on what your expectations are. If you have multiple family members connecting remotely, an old PC may not be the answer. Oh, and make sure it's running Win 10 or later, no Win 7 here.

Considering that Win7 has been EOLed for nearly 2 years already, you should not be running it on any device that talks to the internet.

I finally gave into UBUNTU server and setup a DVR on a Lenovo mini PC it was easier then I thought ... this is my first Linux build ... got tired of maintaining Windows ... Will soon move my Windows 10 Channels DVR to the UBUNTU Server.

1 Like

A truly fantastic point! Thank you! I just thought it might be helpful to mention that when folks come in and say things like "any old PC will do" that maybe that's not really the case.

In any event, I sure appreciate your great and very helpful comment. I can't even begin to tell you how much I appreciate it.

That’s what I did. Hopped on Craigslist and found a used Dell i5 with 8 gigs of ram for $50. Installed a lab inexpensive SSD and loaded Ubuntu. Installation was a snap, running the Channels DVR Using an old 2TB hard drive and a USB enclosure for recordings.

2 Likes

On the TV I watch most I use the Nvidia SHIELD - not only does it work exceptionally well, you can record to an external hard drive. On the other TVs I use the Firestick and it also works well.

1 Like

FWIW - I successfully ran the Channels Android app on a PC using an Android emulator. I did this in order to watch Channels DVR content remotely with my Window laptop (something you can't do with just a browser, which requires LAN access to the DVR server).

2 Likes

If you have enabled the Remote DVR functionality, you can access your DVR via https://my.channelsdvr.net and have full access to your DVR and library in a web browser. This includes not just recorded content, but live TV as well.

I'm not sure why you believe LAN access is necessary, but it is not.

Interesting. I didn't know that.

Hi Aman. So the number of TVs watching live tv simultaneously within a home is not dependent on server hardware. Just playback device and network constraints?

1 Like

Yes, even a 5 year old CPU and standard USB3 drive could feed 20+ clients.

2 Likes