Play current channel while on grid

I want just the opposite, smaller fonts because I'm using channels on a 120" projector!

1 Like

Agreed with the mockup shown above. I'm currently using a Tivo and considering switching to Channels with a Quattro tuner full time but losing the buffer whenever switching channels or going to the GRID has kept me on Tivo for now. I know I can see what is currently playing on other channels, but I'd like to be able to see what it coming up NEXT as well so placing even a few lines of the grid and allowing for scrolling would be a major improvement, especially if the reason to bring up the grid is to mark another show / future show for recording.

1 Like

We also recently switched from TiVo to Channels. I agree a server side buffer instead of/in addition to the local buffer would be nice, but Channels offers some other options too.

One option is to use your “second screen”, if you have iOS devices handy this can be a way to see what’s upcoming without changing what’s playing on the TV and disturbing the buffer. You can also play a show on the TV from the iOS app. If you just want to schedule recordings I’ve found the Web site easiest as it has more features. Both Channels’ iOS app and Web site are so much faster to use and less flaky than their TiVo counterparts.

1 Like

Thanks, but I choose to keep my phone, etc. AWAY from me when trying to watch television. I appreciate that there is a workaround, but would be nice to see this added to the app itself.

2 Likes

+1 on this request....would love to see this!

2 Likes

It's been 3.5 years that this feature had been requested. :laughing:

3 Likes

yep this is a good mix.

1 Like

I would suggest to everyone if you want this feature or any other feature, Don’t comment your reply with just a +1 but hit the like buttons and vote at the beginning of this forum.

1 Like

I not very knowledgeable on the programming required to add the live feed to the guide while browsing, but does anyone know if this is an iOS limitation or just a difficult task to program?

I know the developers operate on multiple platforms and wasn’t sure if this is an easy update for some platforms and not so easy for others.

2 Likes

+10

34B3264B-DC33-4905-9D46-1F75494E4B3A

5 Likes

Is that the new Plex DVR implementation of this feature?

2 Likes

Yes..

1 Like

I think many people will move to Plex because they there first to implement that feature , I done it day they implemented its bit harder for my mrs cos she likes channels, hope channels will follow and add some more features like skins , refresh app in background , and playing last channel after waking Apple TV . if they do that it will be winning app for live tv , but now it just lags behind non dedicated dvr app like Plex

If u mean the idea to continue playing the active channel while viewing the guide....then that has been a thing since Windows Media Center days. Long before Plex had it.

Otherwise, pretty much every other media center like or live tv tuner software i have used over the years has some sort of mini guide bar of sorts that u can use while still watching live tv. Emby has it is since the days it was called Media Browser. Kodi has it, i think. I don't use Plex, tried it a couple times over the years, hated it. The HDHR app it self has a right sidebar guide like thing that u can right scroll to see upcomming shows.

Channels Quick Guide bar i do like, but do agree would be nice to have mini guide grid option (like Emby has) or PIP type thing when u back out into the Guide page.

SageTV has has 3 options ..1. it will pause current show while in the guide.. 2. It will show current show in a window while browsing guide .. 3. You can have full screen video while browsing the guide.

Sagetv has always been ahead of the curve. Even though it is the oldest dvr software.

its apple tv topic not windows media centre or kodi which is not even supported on apple tv (and no mrmc or whatever is not full kodi and is shit waste of money) or other one , it doesnt make any sense to write about something else except apple tv , isnt it? i tried and bought few dvr apps over years but plex is firs who uses pip in grid view plus it looks modern not some purple mess , i know it has some drawbacks but till boys at channels modernise their soft iam using plex

and one more thing - all my family was using channels for around two years till last friday, in that time there was no major improvement in UI , they added airplay ( who the hell care about that?! ) , i think that is to lazy , i would pay another extra if they started improving UI rather adding some none important things , hope plex will make them think about improvements or they will loose apple tv users!!!

The title of this thread is " Play current channel while on grid" to which it is a feature request...thus i can apply to any version of Channels app.
It has a Apple TV tag as seems the OP had a Apple TV.
The mention of what or how other softwares do this feature are relevant for discussion on how a Channels user would want such a feature.

1 Like

Apple ecosystem is Channels primary focus for development far as I can tell.
They have a new beta version, that, i think is different looking than the stable version...I don't have anything Apple so I can't try it out.

Many users like the UI as it is. Basic, strait forward. Even my elderly folks can use it.
Emby and Plex, have more "mature" and feature rich, and tweak-able UI's sure, but they can be overwhelming to some.

Personally, just add a dark/black theme to Channels and that would make it look far better to me. That is already a feature request.