Playback failed (-17) Not Enough Disk Space

Receiving and error message when trying to play a source: Playback Failed (-17).
Logs show:

2022/07/03 07:15:30.307923 [ERR] Error during stream M3U ch9563 channel.us.eastern.us: Failed to download file: https://example-server.ts: write E:\DVR1\Streaming\channels-cache-817407050\478Xxx: There is not enough space on the disk.
2022/07/03 07:15:30.309508 [TNR] Closed connection to M3U for ch9563 channel.us.eastern.us
  1. I have the server installed on my main pc drive.
  2. The main recording directory (DVR directory) is a second local drive which just filled up (I knew this was going to happen)
  3. However I also specified a 3rd portable drive as a failover for recordings. I would have anticipated that once the second drive filled up, the third would have continued onwards. But now I’m seeing a message that playback is failing because it appears the cache might be locked to the drive that is now full? Regular OTA and Cable channels are still responsive.

Please advise.

Update: I'm noticing that for whatever reason, a WD Elements drive that is connected and linked as the third drive is not being recorded to. The drive still shows up as empty. I noticed you have a post about MyCloud issues, but I didn't know if this was also an issue with their Elements lineup.

There is no such thing as a fall over drive. You can add additional storage, but you have to move recordings onto them.

Whatever you want to call it - suppose it’s a misnomer on my part,
Secondary drive. When the first fills up, my understanding that the second one (as shown) would start being used automatically?

No your understanding is wrong you have to move the recordings there either manually or batch job.

Additional Storage Locations for Channels DVR Recordings - Beta Community / DVR Beta - Channels Community (getchannels.com)

Geez. So each and every time the main DVR drive fills up I have to disable DVY checkbox, manually move things over, then re-enable DVR checkbox? Well that's really freakin' stupid.

Alternative is to get a bigger main DVR HD....
If this was clear from the install I would've set it up differently.

You do not have to disable the DVR just move over the recordings you want. I record to an SSD but I have a cron job that moves the recordings over to a RAID 5 when the DVR is not in use automatically.

PS I agree with you it should fall over automatically so you can keep adding storage.

3 Likes

When adding the additional space it does say "Note that new recordings will still be created on the primary DVR storage drive. Old recordings can be manually moved over, and will automatically play from the secondary drive if the video is not found on the main drive." Of course, that can probably be easily missed. And I agree there should be a better more automated way of dealing with additional storage for recording storage.

Could you go over this procedure you use. I would love to move my Channels over to an SSD I have, but 1/2Tb is not going to cut it. I would like to have the bulk of my recording moved over to the additional 16Tb of HDD automatically as they get older. Specifically how you check the DVR is not in use.

I come from basically a Windows GUI and batch file life and now that I am using Synology I have a fair learning curve contending with Lunix. It is helpful for me to study what others are successfully achieving so I can better learn to design solutions myself.

this is how I check for usage ...

1 Like

Thanks. I am on the forums everyday. I should have caught that.

this is how I move movies ... I have it setup to run every half hour.

curl http://10.0.0.2:8089/dvr | grep "busy\":false," && cp -rp "/home/nyplayer/ChannlelsDVR/Movies/" "/mnt/md0/public/ChannelsDVR/" && sudo rm -rf /home/nyplayer/ChannlelsDVR/Movies/

TVShows

curl http://10.0.0.2:8089/dvr | grep "busy\":false," && cp -rp "/home/nyplayer/ChannlelsDVR/TV/" "/mnt/md0/public/ChannelsDVR/" && sudo rm -rf /home/nyplayer/ChannlelsDVR/TV/
1 Like

I believe it says it when you’re first setting it up - but there’s a lot of other things I was focused on and missed it.

Definitely not obvious to a casual user.

Might be simpler using a regular windows cron/task job such as explained here:

1 Like

I have a linux script i run every night via cron, it looks for any tv show or movie that is older than 4 months and then moves from my 2tb SSD to my 10TB HD. The logic behind this is anything that is within the past 4 months gets the benefit of SSD speed and anything older gets archived. My SSD utilization hovers right around 60%. If for some reason i start to get short on space, i just change the script to do 3 months instead of 4. I dont check to see if the dvr is in use because honestly I dont care. The likelihood that someone in my house is watching a 4 month old program at 3am that is about to be archived is zero.

Here is my script. I have the exact path structure replicated on my archive drive.

moverec.sh
#!/bin/sh
find /media/channelsdvr/2TB/DVR/Movies -mtime +120 -printf %P\0|rsync --remove-source-files -at -P --files-from=- --from0 /media/channelsdvr/2TB/DVR/Movies/ /media/channelsdvr/10TB/DVR/Movies/

find /media/channelsdvr/2TB/DVR/TV -mtime +120 -printf %P\0|rsync --remove-source-files -at -P --files-from=- --from0 /media/channelsdvr/2TB/DVR/TV/ /media/channelsdvr/10TB/DVR/TV/

1 Like