Playback video decoder

I am using channels for hd homerun on a 2019 nvidia shield. What is the best video decoder setting? Hardware, hybrid, or software?

In my experience on the shield, hardware is best. I watch a lot of hevc atsc3.0 and it will not play on any setting other than hardware so it’s a no brainer for me

1 Like

Thank you! Are there any other settings that are recommended?

I see you are new to the community, so welcome! As far as settings go there really isn’t much else that needs changed. Channels can be very simple to a tad complex depending on what you want it to be. Need more channels add Pluto, have a bunch of movies ripped to your pc, check out import local content. Create channels collection to organize and even customize the quick guide. If there is something you would like, it most likely can be done with server side settings. A tip that is not well known with the shield remote, a quick double tap of the play/pause button will change channel to the last channel. There is alot of helpful people here so don’t hesitate to ask questions

2 Likes

Hardware is fine.

However if you ever have a video that wont playback, or is "wierd" try switching to software.

For content from DVR i have never had a problem with hardware decoding. But on some of my imported media, i had to switch software.

For example my collection of King Of Queens (imported media) doesn't playback on hardware or hybrid. Only works in software.

Edit: Since your new. Check out virtual channels. Its quiet possibly the coolest feature ever.

If you use the software decoder with the Shield then AI upscaling won't work.

If you use the hardware decoder and try to watch Pluto the Channels client will probably crash periodically.

Choose your poison.

1 Like

I just set everything up today for the first time. I have a 2019 Shield. I noticed that you need it on hardware decoder or else the upscaling won't work. However when you do have the upscaling turned on with hardware decoding the picture becomes choppy. When I turn upscaling back to basic the choppyness goes away. Is there a way to have upscaling on without the choppyness? This isn't an issue on any other app on the Shield....

Edit: i scrolled up and relized I already said this same stuff on a previous post on this thread. So um I deleted my post.