Playing a video from iOS to Apple TV unreliable

So if it’s not tuned in, it just works fine?

What if you’re watching a recording?

It works the first time in every scenario including watching a recording with the exception of live TV (TVE in my case). If I am tuned to live TV and use this feature, it goes to a black screen with no audio/video. The second attempt always works…

My triggers are different then, because the issue persists even when watching a recording. I tried it again just now. The first attempt to "cast" content from Channels on the iPhone to that same AppleTV just gets me the black screen, and the second attempt works. It happened twice just now. I've submitted diagnostics.

Has any progress been made on this issue, as it’s become a real hassle since I use this feature many times throughout the day and have to remember to execute it twice in order for it to be successful.

I've repro'd this and am taking a look this morning.

Thank you so very much! :grinning:

This was resolved in the latest TestFlight release:

1 Like

It seems to work great when doing it manually, however using an iOS shortcut to do the same, still fails with a black screen.

Ok, I didn’t see that scenario. I’m sure it’s has the same issue in that code path. I’ll check it out later and push up the fix.

I kind of figured it was something along those lines. Thanks for confirming and for all of your hard work! Have a blessed weekend. :grinning:

I just noticed a beta update and wondered if the fix was incorporated into the latest build? I’m anxious to test it with my shortcuts…

Thanks so much :grinning:

If it’s not in the notes, it’s not in there.

Can you describe how you're doing this with a Shortcut? Are you using one of our build in Shortcut Actions?

Please describe it in detail, or show a screenshot of your Siri Shortcut.

Are you sure your shortcut is targeting the right app? Do you have the beta and the store release version installed on your Apple TV? Please confirm that the shortcut isn't opening and targeting the release version. This would explain why it's acting differently.

Strange, now my shortcuts seem to be working correctly. Perhaps some of my ATV’s weren’t running the latest TestFlight builds? In any case, all seems to be well from what I can tell. If I run into any more problems, I’ll post it.

Thanks again! :grinning:

A post was split to a new topic: Some Siri Actions Show Black Screen When Executed Wile Playing Live TV