Playing two channels at the same time

Having an interesting issue here. I have 2 Apple TV's with the Channels app installed. Channels Server is connected to my HDHomeRun CONNECT Quatro (4 tuners). The channels app on each Apple TV app is set to the Quatro.

While in Room A, I am watching live TV on Apple TV 1.

Someone in Room B tries to watch live TV on Apple TV 2. This causes the stream on Apple TV 1 to pause, and then a network error presents itself.

My Quatro supports 4 streams.

Do you have tuner sharing on the channels server turned on?
How are your ATV's connected, wired or wireless?

ATV's are connected via network not WiFi. I was not aware of "Tuner sharing" let me check that out. Thanks.

Ok. I located the setting:

Clients --> Client Settings --> Choose a Setting to Override --> Playback --> Advanced

Let me test it out.

Yeah, same issue. Bizarre. The Quatro has 4 tuners. So this seems like a channels server/app issue? When one ATV is playing a channel it pauses immediately when the other ATV tries playing a different channel.

You sound like you might have something else going on. Try the hd homerun app and do the same test.

Yup... Using the VLC on my PC and then VLC on my iPhone, same issue when trying to play 2 streams from the Quatro.. Bizarre.

No I mean use both appletv's to test with the HDHomerun App.

Same. HDHomeRun app on Mac and HDHomeRun app on iPhone trying to play 2 different channels causes same issue. Wondering if my hardware is toast.

LOL we are having a communication problem. Go on each AppleTV that you have, install the HDHomerun app. Run the same test with the official HDHomerun App. My guess is the same thing will happen but we want to test apples to apples not apples to oranges :wink:

Thanks. Yes, same issue. This seems to be a Silicon Dust (HDHomeRun QUATRO) problem.

Can you use other steaming apps simultaneously on both ATVs? For instance, can you simultaneously watch two different movies w/ Netflix or whatever?

My theory is that there's something weird going on with your LAN, and both ATVs are getting assigned the same IP address or something. Can you bring up the administrative web page for your router and look for attached devices and confirm that you ATVs show up with different IP addresses?

Oh, and here's one more idea... Can you simultaneously watch 2 different streams of RECORDED content from the ChannelDVR on the 2 Apple TVs?

In that case it would be a one or the other scenario. It wouldnt be only when you try to play the same source. My money is on the HDHR.

1 Like

Issue resolved.

PSA: do not extend the length of supplied power supplies on the DC side, only on the AC side. I had extended the length of my HDHomeRun power supply cords on the DC side.

I contacted SiliconDust who mentioned this sounded like a power issue as when you tune to more than one tuner that more power is needed. Then they asked if I had lengthened the power supply on the DC side.

I ordered two replacement power supplies and bada bing.. Issue resolved.

1 Like