Playon Alternative

Short version: Have you used and of the alternatives to PlayOn? What are your experiences

Long Version: I was a playon desktop user for a long time. Im still angry about them rereleasing Playon Desktop as Playon Home. I refuse to buy new license from them (i had 2 licenses). Do any users in Channels use any of these. Your experiences. Does channels play their video files back with no problem? Does Channels DVR like their default naming scheme and their Metadata matches up with Channels DVR? Do you feel the software is wort the cost? Most importantly how is video quality.

Some I found online
Anystream
Streamfab
Audials (im very curious on this one)
Myfilmdownload
Kigo Video Recorder
FlixGrab

1 Like

First I brought a lifetime Playon License a few years ago. I still use PlayOn cloud to record a show that I otherwise missed. But I do not have a subscription. I brought a number of recording credits at 11.5 cents and just use that. Your recording stays for 7 days and ChannelsDVR automatically downloads it.

I have both Anystream and StreamFab. They are both better than PlayOn. They are not doing a screen grad, but instead actually downloading the file. A movie typically downloads in 3-5 minutes.

They recently both had issues with copy protection on streaming services and have mostly overcome them. For some shows, you still do not always get 1920x1080 resolution. But they are both actively working to get you there. (I am not sure about downloading 4K, I have not tried it yet.)

Anystream allows you to customize the download file naming convention, so I made it match what Channels is expecting. For StreamFab, I have been using BulkRename to fix the filename.

3 Likes

I just paid the $186 for any stream. Hopefully I like it. I did the trial 10 downloads. I enjoyed the download speed. I also payed the $30 for 1year on MyFilmDownload. Their software works free for SD quality. I downloaded a few episodes old sitcom episodes to test before buying. I will come back with my report for these in future in case someone else on here is curious.

My problem with PlayOn cloud is it gets costly. Even at playon credits of $0.11 ea. It would cost a fortune. That would be 4.6 downloads a day for 1 year. I blow that out of water, My wife LOVES Playon Cloud, Its great for shows that DVR misses or recording messed up. Best part is she (the supreme comander) doesnt have to wait for me to find/download a episode.

1 Like

It's a pretty safe bet if the app is violating the IP owner's DRM that you might be wasting your money eventually.

1 Like

It's actually a pretty safe bet that the IP owner's TOS are in violation of the law as decided by Sony Corp. v. Universal City Studios, 464 U.S. 417 (1984) and The Cartoon Network LP, LLLP v. CSC Holdings, Inc., No. 07-1480 (2d Cir. 2008)--as well as a mess of TiVO related cases. Being able to make personal copies (digital or otherwise) of material you have access to and store it locally or in the cloud, transmit it over the internet or any other network, and time shift it and edit it in any way you see fit (i.e., skipping commercials) have all been upheld by the Supreme and Federal Appeals Courts.

But what is really a safe bet is that despite that being the law of the land, the IP holder companies have far more resources and money and will attempt to drive these companies out of business with unjustified lawsuits. In that way, they will "win" and be able to continue their illegal activities and terms.

And to use the products, you must be able to login to the streaming service meaning that you have a right to a personal copy of the content. This is not like torrents, where you can download anything.

Exactly my point.

1 Like

How so?

You have a right to whatever you agree to in the streaming providers terms of service when you sign up and choose to be a customer. Whether or not their terms of service are in violation of any particular laws or rulings is a separate matter.

Here is how Modulus describes the legal issues. They also offer the ability to record streaming services.

"U.S. copyright law places restrictions on how DRM-protected content may be decrypted. The methods used inside Modulus to record streaming content does not include any decryption technology. The decryption is handled using the provider’s decryption technology as delivered to the user’s device from them directly. Modulus has developed a technique that intercepts the stream after it has been legally decrypted for a given valid user account. Thus, the challenges of stream recording in high definition are entirely technical in nature, not legal."

And

"The most relevant law is the Digital Millenium Copyright Act (DMCA). Specifically, Chapter 12 of Section 103 of the DMCA generated the most controversy relating to media content. It makes it illegal to circumvent technological measures (i.e. encryption) that control access to work (“access control”), when circumvention is the only or primary commercial purpose. While it is legal for a consumer to use circumvention to make personal copies of media he/she has rights to access, it is not legal to traffic in the circumvention software that enables it. MMS avoids this issue because MMS does not “traffic in any circumvention software” and furthermore provides no support for such software (the consumer makes that choice for their personal use after installing the unit).

Just as important, there are critical exemptions in the DMCA, including that copy-control circumvention (once access is authorized) is not prohibited. Also, the DMCA upholds the long-standing “Fair Use” doctrine permitting limited duplication of copyrighted material for personal use without requiring permission. Furthermore, the DMCA explicitly allows reverse-engineering of technological measures for the purpose of interoperability. This is the exact situation with the DVD and Blu-Ray libraries discussed above."

1 Like

I have had the PlayOn Cloud for several years with a 1tb plan. I find it more convenient to have movies or shows recording without interrupting my desktop computer. The quality for the 1080 is excellent and the 720 is not shabby at all. When you use the cloud service with channels, it will download to your channels directory under PlayOn.
Very easy. I love the fact that you can record seasons of tv shows that you have subscriptions to. My last download was the complete series of Lost on Hulu. Since I pay for the no ad plan on Hulu, you got all episodes commercial free.

The sounds sucks though which is a big part of enjoying a movie. They need to improve the sound Quality... down grading to stereo is really not worth it for me.

2 Likes

I am using a Mac so can't run Anystream. When I tried Streamfab 2 times, it always errors out and fails on the trial download... tried it on 2 different computers also. on the second computer, I got it was successful message, but the tab it was running on said it failed. went to the software and it showed failed. Any ideas? Dont want to spend the money if it is not going to work.

thanks

Anystream offers a trail.

2 Likes

So i have now downloaded about 100movies with Anystream and probably about a couple hundred tv episodes. All in 1080p.

I get recording errors sometimes. Less often then i ever did with playon desktop. However it lacks a scheduler. Other then lack of schedulers im happy with the product.

It is designed to record streaming services, not broadcast shows.

1 Like

Sorry. By scheduler. I mean auto start/stop downloads. IE. Stopping downloads from 5p-11p while I am home. My isp is only 10mbit. So I don't want it using my bandwidth while I'm home. Playon Desktop had that feature built in.

Ahhhh, now I understand.

The simplest would be to load up the queue at 11pm and let it run until 5pm the next day. If it has not finished, simple suspend the program until 11pm and resume it again. You can probably use an external scheduling program or scripting language to do this.

Has anyone found a service that supports 4K or HDR?

1 Like

Does any of them below work with virtual channels where i can see on tv guide?

"
Anystream
Streamfab
Audials (im very curious on this one)
Myfilmdownload
Kigo Video Recorder
FlixGrab"

2 Likes