Pluto For Dummies

Not that I can remember and definitely not a regular occurrence.

Please clarify what you mean here.

If the "two links" you're referring to, are the shared "i.mjh.nz" links, then yes, this is a common issue with that type of setup, and seems to be the #1 reason people set up the docker for proper (and certainly more reliable) Pluto TV integration with Channels instead. Because those "i.mjh.nz" links used directly in that manner, don't actually "work great." I'd get those "lost connection" messages... all. the. time.

With the docker method, I get them, but only occasionally. Maybe once in a blue moon? Big, big difference in that department, for sure.

You can actually change that to refresh every 1 hour now, which I love!

3 Likes

So one issue might be the nested virtualization with windows. Docker doesn't run natively on windows 10 since it requires hyper-v. I used to run docker on an esxi vm (same nested virtualization) and I had issues like you are describing. I moved it to a Linux machine and the issues have cleared up 100% for me...

I copied your settings, except I have port 8080. It seems to be working fine. I now have the "HOW", but I would like the "WHY".

Why do you have port 8090 rather than 8080?

Why "Prefer channel-number from M3U"?

Please help me understand what is going on.

The port number doesn't really matter unless it is conflicting with another port number. Pretty basic stuff.

As far as the "Prefer channel-number from M3U"?, I am not sure about that. I keep it checked. Do the numbers change if you un-check it?

I used 8090 because there was already another service listening on 8080. I chose 8090 because it's close to 8089, making it easy to remember.

Prefer channel numbers from M3U just seems like the right choice unless you have channel number conflicts with other sources.

1 Like

If you don't select channel numbers from M3U, what channel numbers do you get?

It will start in the 9000's and just assign the next available number as new channels get added. Note Paramount+ Picks location in relation to its number:

Since Pluto tends to move channels around or share similar numbers to other services, I prefer to just let Channels assign the number. Recently, when the 007 station came back, it just went back to its previously assigned number.

1 Like

Docker is ALMOST working. If I log out (Windows) and log back in, or reboot the machine, all my Pluto channels go away. If I then startup Docker from my desktop, the channels come back.

1. Docker Desktop is listed in my startup program list.
  2. Task Manager shows docker is running.
  3. Docker settings:
    Startup Docker Desktop on login.
    Use WSL2 based engine
    Open Docker Dashboard at startup.

What am I missing?

Are you using Auto Login in on Windows the Docker will only run when you are logged in.

Yes I'm using Auto Login.

Could it have something to do with the port number?

Check to make sure the container is running:

docker ps

TV_Ken, why bother with the Docker container when we have a new, easier way to get your m3u?

Non-Docker source for PlutoTV and Stirr m3u playlists and EPG

It is my understanding that your EPG only updates every 3 hours and mine updates every 1 hour. Am I wrong?

Not mine. Kudos to the guy who did it, however.

Since it appears to only be possible to get roughly 8 hours of Pluto data at any given time, what difference does it make? Also, it has the added feature of not needing to install Docker or horse around with containers anymore.

Win-win.

1 Like

Get only 8 hours with a three hour delay, gives you as little as 5 hours. I want all I can get.

Not sure what everyone is talking about.
I get 12 hours of EPG for Pluto which is being refreshed every three hours, so at a minimum I always have at least 9 hours of guide data.

Every X hours it fetches the next 8 hours of data. I have mine set for every 1 hour. Not sure where you get the "delay".

I just tested by manually updating from the server settings page. Oddly, the web listings grid does show almost 11.5 hours, and a minute later on my Shield Pro it definitely only showed 8.

Wonder why? Weird.