Poor Picture Quality

the only thing that is quite poor picture quality, is Locast.
Those feeds are so low bitrate, and look so bad, its unwatchable in my opinion.
So blurry, blocky, and highly compressed, but is a stable stream.
However, for some, it the only option to get OTA stations for whatever reason, to far from transmitter, can't use a good antenna, etc.

I occasionally see some digitizing on TVE, or times where it briefly streams SD then back to HD, but it does not bother me. Its has been too long since i have had Cable and a Prime tuner, but even then, Comcast made nearly all my channels a 720p h.264 stream of about the same bit rate as TVE. Only a few channels were 1080i.

AppleTV 4K

I'm using TVE. Not sure what you mean "using a Prime?"

I mean the HDHomeRun Prime (HDHR3-CC). It is a physical network tuner that uses a CableCARD to decode your encrypted cable feed, and transmit it across your home network.

I have a TiVo now (which is why I was toying with Channels to use it as a replacement to TiVo). I could use the CableCARD from it, but would prefer to get a new CableCARD to test it. Who knows when Xfinity will stop supporting CableCARDs since the FCC voted to not require support for them anymore.

Make sure the Apple TV is set to SDR mode.

You can also try changing the Channels app settings under Settings > Playback > Advanced to set Video Driver and Deinterlacer to Experimental

1 Like

@tmm1 Thanks that helped the picture quality except for fast motion having a ghosting effect. The quality seems better.

1 Like

Depending on where you live, and what kind of TV signal you get there, maybe consider using an HDHomeRun box with an antenna? I know it sounds old school, but that hardware integrates perfectly with your existing Channels DVR. And the picture quality of (free) local channels would be better than what you get via TVE or Locast.

I have to say I really love the features of Channels (especially the commercial skip) and I foresee this as a TiVo replacement as I love the features much better. However, I cannot get a good picture quality on a big TV. I'm not sure if it's the settings on my TV, the AppleTV, or something else. Picture quality on my iOS devices is excellent.

Is your Apple TV connected via ethernet or wifi? Maybe you have a poor wifi connection? It sounds like your issue is isolated to that one TV. I would do some troubleshooting there. Download the Speed Test app on your Apple TV and see what kind of speeds you're getting there.

It's connected via ethernet (all of them). All devices are this way, but it seems to be worse with Locast streams. What is the bitrate of Locast? I'm going to record some TVE from Xfinity to see if it occurs with it as well.

My AppleTV's consistently get >900 Mbps downstream. Nearly all of my house is hardwired.

Oh - Locast. There's your answer. :slight_smile:

Go buy an antenna and an HDHomeRun Connect and you'll be set!

1 Like

Locast is ~2Mbps 720p30 w/ stereo audio.
TVE varies, but is generally either the same as Locast, up to ~5Mbps 1080p30/29.97, with stereo audio as well.

Internet streams—including Locast and TVE—will always be inferior to the broadcast quality from an actual tuner.

Since switching to DirecTV Stream, Channels DVR's quality is much much improved.

Improved over what, though? Locast was killed more than a year ago.

And TVE streams from DirecTV Stream and Xfinity would be identical.

For info about the quality of TVE streams, I have a spreadsheet with details:

2 Likes

I was having poor picture quality primarily on a couple channels. Since transitioning to DirecTV Stream, I'm not seeing that anymore. Either it's coincidence with bandwidth issues (doubt it, I've had the same 1 gig bandwidth and it was on multiple days of many months), the stream quality improved randomly, Channels DVR updating its technology, or DirecTV Stream offers better TVE quality than Comcast (who knows, TVE may be standard). Something happened and picture quality is improved, and for that, I'm much happier.

TVE no matter what your provider is ... Comes from the same place so the streams are identical.

2 Likes

That I didn't know. So it's obviously something that has changed elsewhere. Maybe the encoding is better on those channels.

It is probably on the Improvements Channels DVR has made to their player ... deinterlacing etc .. Or it could be that the TVE source since you switched has improved.... just a coincidence.

1 Like