Port Forwarding? Use 4G to watch on iphone

Is there anyway to use port forwarding to HDHomerun so that I can watch TV using Channels IOS when I’m outside of my house?

You can setup a vpn at home and connect to it to stream. It requires a lot of bandwidth though, and probably won’t work well on 4G

1 Like

Another option for outside viewing is to wait until the devs work out whatever issues they had with remote viewing through the web ui. Remote viewing was available for a short period of time before it was disabled due to issues. The advantage of web viewing is that it uses the dvr server to transcode the stream so it can be viewed through a browser. This transcoding also greatly reduces the amount of data sent over the network. Then you can play with Web Player resolution setttings to see what works over 4G. I think 480p or less would work.

1 Like

Thanks for your prompt reply

But DVR feature is not live TV, right?

The web GUI of the DVR allows for both live and recorded TV to be streamed over the internet. There is also eventually going to be the ability to use the app remotely just like the web GUI, presumably transcoding the stream to the appropriate resiloution for your connection.

1 Like

Remote viewing is available now with Channels DVR. I use it every day.

For me, live TV works quite well. For recordings, I currently need to set transcoding to software.

Edit: I’m port forwarding 8089 to my NAS for remote access.

1 Like

Is there a way to setup remote viewing via reverse proxy instead of opening a port on my router? I only need to open ports 80/443 for my services and would love if Channels can support this.

@jkline How do you set recording to transcode to software?

I no longer have to use software decoding.

My web player settings are:
Transcoding: Hardware
Quality: 720p@2mbps (this varies)
Deinterlacer:Hardware

DVR users can open port 8089 (or reverse proxy it) for remote viewing via the web UI.

For the iOS app, the only way is to VPN back to your home since the HDHR require multiple ports and UDP broadcasts to function.

1 Like