Pretty annoyed...no remote access all of a sudden

out of no where i all the sudden can’t get remote access to my DVR from a web browser, nor any of my mobile devices. on my network i have no trouble at all. i’ve logged in/out, i’ve authorized, pretty much done everything.

i’ve not changed anything on my network, or settings, but it appears to be a Port issue. i’ve never had my Apple Airport Base Station set for Port Forwarding, so i don’t want to go in there and start f*&$ with anything if i don’t have to. would just like to know why all of sudden it would appear the Channels servers are trying to redirect access requests to the wrong Port, i.e. not the Port shown in the settings of my DVR under remote access.

If they did that, don’t you suppose there’d be a lot more people in here complaining than just you?

Just checked it, here, by turning off WiFi on my phone, and remote’s still working fine.

if “who” did what? take your non-helpful response elsewhere please. i’m not accusing anyone of deliberately doing anything.

my statement stands on it’s own in that there appears to be an issue with at least my account where the Port redirects are getting sent to does not match with the settings in my DVR. as you can customize the Port you’d prefer to use, then it only makes sense that i’m not suggesting that EVERYONE would be having this same problem.

The DVR requires port 8089. If another port is showing under remote access that means the router didn’t have 8089 available and assigned another random port, which is not going to work.

If you already setup 8089 yourself on the router then the DVR should be set to Manual mode under remote access.

That’s exactly what I was seeing, under automatic there was a different port than 8089. I’d switch to manual with 8089 and it still wouldn’t work, switch back to auto and it go back to the odd port number. Your telling me that odd number is appearing because 8089 isn’t available. My question is does the router then come up with random port or does the DVR? Either way, Does the DVR not then report its setting to my account for proper function? I’m guessing the answer to that is No, as you said it “requires” 8089.

I’ll try and figure out then what on my router has all the sudden hijacked 8089 from me, as this is the first time that’s ever happened.

Thanks, your response was most helpful

Basically the DVR requests 8089 from the router, and sometimes the router picks a different port and returns that. The DVR doesn’t deal with this very well, as it is assumes 8089 will be picked as requested.

Best bet would be to leave the DVR on manual mode, and add the 8089 port specifically on your router so its reserved just for the DVR.

Think I’ll be doing that very thing now.

Thanks again