Problem Setting Up Channels DVR Version of Raspberry PI

Trying to setup the DVR on a RPI 4 (8GB). I installed the DVR using the windows image maker onto a 5GB WD USB3 HDD. However, I can't get the PI to boot into USB.

I had been previously running vanilla 32BIT PI, and couldn't figure out how to enab;e USB using the following directions:

" 1. Using the Raspberry Pi Imager, click Choose OS > Misc utility images > Bootloader > SD Card Boot, then select your SD card and click Write.
2. Boot your Pi using the SD card and wait until the green light on the front starts blinking rapidly.
3. Unplug the power and remove the SD card."

I couldn't find it in the PI vanilla OS, so I tried to reformat the SD card and install the vanilla version on the SD card thiking it would take me back to when I first installed the PI, I had a coupe of options to consider, but now have figured out it's just installed the OS again.

When I try and boot without the SD card, I get a warning saying "failed to open device: 'sdcard'" and "insert SD-Card". I had read on Reddit I think that the newer Ras PI 4 had usb boot enabled by default, but apparent;y I am doing something wrong.

Won't lie, I miss just hitting 'Del' and entering the BIOS to select the boot device, but I'll get this wring at some point with some pointers.

At the Boot screen wo the SD Card, it says:

bootloader: c2f8c388 Apr 29 2021
boot: mode SD 0 order 1 retry 3/3 restart 0/-1

Other things listed, but I am assuming this is the relevant info

TIA

The bootloader image is inside the raspberry pi imager software on your PC. That's where you follow the instructions. Which step did you get stuck at?

Had to step away for a few hours. I was thinking I had to select the boot loader on the Raspberry PI. I;ll try again in the morning.

Thanks,

Jay

Got it running. Not intuitive coming from a 90s-2010 PC builder (hobby). Now to stress test it (and hopefully not my wife). :wink:

Channels should offer preloaded software as a bundle via retailers. Buy your newest DVR here. :wink:

You mean a pre-built Channels DVR box? lol. While that sounds like something that might sell, it most likely would not.

Channels DVR is a very small overall user base compared to the well known big boys out there. No one in the Retail side of things ever heard of it, but they have heard of TiVo and Sling, and others that already have such products. It take considerable money for investment into the retail market and to make a physical bundled product. And its a gamble, just look how successfully and not successful your average crowded funded product is. They fail very often or end up being junk.

Also, Channels would have to charge alot more $ should they take on the overheard of some physical product. Just look at PFSense and netgate... Netgate make the physical built units for PfSense, and they are crazy expensive, while anyone can make the same thing for far less if they do it them self, or make even better one using a device they already own.

It is so easy to setup a Channels DVR server on many devices already, i do not see the need at all for a pre-built appliance type device. Same with similar software's like Plex, Emby etc.

There is DietPi OS. That makes it easy to have an all in one OS that has easy to use wizards and a catalog of one click to install software's, to easy and fast make your own. And its not only for Pi, but for many SBCs and even for VM and normal PC.

Remember Boxee? It's been done and tried, and was a flop.

2 Likes

Many retailers provide micro SD cards with their kits. Channels OS could be offered as an option. Or just sell micro SD cards with the OS preloaded.

Which would be useless with out a DVR subscription. and way way out of date.

And why bother, since u can literally install any linux based os, and run a single command that installs the most current software? Or take a couple min to download the image, flash to SD card or drive, plug in and go.

I hate pre-bundled software and have never used them, ever, even when they came on cd-rom. Always old version.

sounds easy, however we are getting users who are running into problems trying to do this.

Not really. It is pretty easy to follow instructions.
And most of the time, it is from people that are not that tech savy where it is there first time messing with SBC and anything other than their laptop or tablet.

I am sure they would be happy to pay $1.99 extra to avoid having to do this.

I figure anybody that wants to use a PI has to have some experience... In writing an SD/USB boot image.

1 Like

Everybody should equally ... suffer :wink:

I had no experience, Just followed the instructions and was up and running within 30 minutes. Imaging the SD card too about 20 minutes.

1 Like

I too have sometimes wondered if the Channels developers have ever considered creating their own “plug and play” hardware that could be sold to consumers. It seems appealing on the surface but I also know that manufacturing, distributing, and supporting hardware is a totally different animal than a purely software business. It would be a very large shift, and would require a large up front investment, as well as expanded ongoing support obligations, etc.

2 Likes