Programming Universal Remote with ATV4

OK, this is not Channels App related, but I am hoping that an experienced ATV 4 user can help.

My wife hates the Siri remote so I bought a cheap two device ‘universal’ remote on Amazon that claims to work with ATV, but I am finding that some buttons work, some don’t, so I went into the ATV settings and and went to learn the remote, hoping to get the remaining buttons to work. When I go through the learning process the app walks through each button, and when I get toa button that is already working I get a message saying “This button is already being used. Select a different button” and I can’t go on to the next button.

Does anyone know how to either get past that message or how to selectively program buttons and not go through all of them?

You cannot have the same button on the remote perform 2 different functions. You also cannot leave any buttons unassigned. If you get into a pickle it’s best to delete the remote learnt and start afresh.

Thanks, but I’m not trying to have the same button do two things. It is stopping me at the down arrow button, which I am trying to assign to the down arrow button. Also, since I can’t get past that point, the remote doesn’t exist as far as ATV is concerned, so I can’t delete it and start over.

What happens when you press the down arrow exactly?

The only way I can get a “that button is already being used” is if I have already set up a profile and then tried to relearn the profile with a button the was assigned to a different function. Have you got any other custom profiles set up?

Nope. Just the Siri remote. We also use Harmony, and my Samsung TV remote worked with no setup but no profiles at all.

The progress bar fills and then the error message come up, disappears and it is waiting for me to press another button.

Maybe the programmable remote is using the same code for two different keys. Can you program it use a different manufacturer profile? You don’t really need a remote that “supports ATV” because the ATV can learn the codes from any IR remote.

I tried resetting the remote, but it didn’t change anything. I’m at my parents house now, but when I get home I’ll try it again, and I am going to try it with our second ATV as well.

Thanks!

Any other insight is welcome, of course :smiley: