Proper WiFi test speeds

What is a good DVR server speeds when connected to WiFi? I am not having any issues but figured I would get better speeds then this. I am getting roughly a gigabyte with Ethernet connection. Most of my devices are connected via Ethernet and having no issues streaming over WiFi just wondering.

Screenshot_20190311-204423

Could be neighboring access points on the same channel. Could be the placement of your access point. Could be other connected wifi devices on your own network using the bandwidth... etc. But you should get similar speeds from the server that you get from an Apple TV.
My speedtest over wifi to the server is about the same as speedtest to an Apple TV.
Using an older iPhone 7 to DVR server:
IMG_3194

same iPhone to an ATV:
IMG_3195

But, an OTA channel steaming to your wifi device at full quality is somewhere around 20mbps.... so as long as you are around there, you shouldn't have issues. If you are using cable instead, the bitrates are already much lower, so you need even less bandwidth.

1 Like

Define what you mean by "good DVR speeds." 138Mb/s, with those latency and jitter numbers, should certainly be more than sufficient. As to why it's not higher: There are far, far too many variables to say--not the least of which is the client device's WiFi hardware, drivers and OS.

I really wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

As others have mentioned, your numbers look fine for Channels, assuming they hold up reliably.

If you still want more bandwidth over wifi: I'd make sure your router supports the 5GHz band and that your devices are connected on the 5GHz band if they are capable of doing so. You may have to enable band steering (unfortunately and confusingly, different router brands have different names for this). If that feature is not supported (only newish, high-end routers tend to have it), you will have to put your 5GHz network on a separate network SSID and reconfigure your capable devices to connect to that new SSID.

The 5GHz band is less congested, and is more readily capable of supporting higher radio bandwidths (40, 80, or even 160MHz) than 2.4GHz (which is usually limited to 20MHz, although you might be able to get 40MHz if you don't live near any other wifi networks). In addition, 802.11ac only works over 5GHz, not 2.4GHz.

Note that 5GHz has less range than 2.4GHz. This is good because it means it's less congested, but bad if you live in a large and/or particularly RF-hostile house (depends on how it's built). So your mileage may vary.

Thanks for all the responses. I guess when I do a speed test via Ethernet I am getting close to a gigabyte so I expected WiFi to be a little higher. Like I mentioned I have no streaming issues so not a big deal. I am using a night hawk R7000P router and I have their smart feature enabled and let it pick 5 or 2.4 for each device. Everytime I have checked I am also usually connected to a good channel that is not congested, But it is also not in a great spot (laundry room on first floor).

wifi will never contend with gigabit ethernet. WiFi is sharing the same frequencies as anyone else using that same channel in your neighborhood. And all other devices on your own wifi (if all using the same channel). It cannot send and receive simultaneously. It also pauses to take turns with any other nearby access points.... even if the neighboring AP signals are very weak. It's a shared spectrum. And the signal degrades quickly do to distance, physical objects, or RF interference.

your 100mbps+ speeds are great for wifi streaming. But, yes, it can still be faster... you can connect your streaming devices with gigabit ethernet. I have my main computer systems, networking gear, and ATVs directly plugged in. Any other tablets, phones, laptops, watches, IoT devices connect via wifi as the speeds work fine for what they are used for.