Provider - Xfinity

Anyone else having trouble with the Xfinity TVE credentials on the latest release 2023.11.24.2009 & 2023.11.27.0341? I needed to re-login and am getting this error when trying to authenticate.

Diagnostic Logs below
d98d3a90-f6e2-414e-91e5-1f4c778e5b77

Never-mind, this appears to be an issue with my account specifically. I tried another account from a friend and it worked no problem.

1 Like

XFINITY TVE Asking for PWD Change ... on some Channels

1 Like

Setting a new Password IN XFINITY Acct and updating TVE fixed it first time I have ever seen that message.

I got that from Xfinity last week and changed the password for all my Xfinity user accounts and updated Channels DVR with the new ones.

my xfinity TVE stopped working within the past 3 days. i get "chrome failed to start" but also saw "invalid password" when rescanning once. i've restarted the PC, ensured chrome launches and run the troubleshooter. not really sure what is going on yet but i guess i'll try updating the xfinity password.

UPDATE: reset password, tried logging into xfinity again in channels and it instantly kicked me out of my acct on the app and made me reset password again. it's also sending me push notifications without having 2fa on now? i saw in another thread someone had to call because they basically flagged the account for suspicious activity.

strange that i don't see the same "blocked by xfinity" error as above.

1 Like

Here's what I do.
Enable 2fa on your Primary (Xfinity account holder) username.
Disable 2fa on seconday, viewer role usernames used only for Channels DVR TVE.
If you have to, you can login with your Primary (Xfinity account holder) username and change the passords on the seconday, viewer role usernames.
Do not add a mobile# or email for seconday, viewer role usernames.

Using a browser, go to one of the network live websites, like Watch the NBCUniversal Networks Live Stream - NBC.com and authenticate using your seconday, viewer role username.
See if you get any errors when authenticating there.

See TVE Troubleshooting tips - #6 by chDVRuser

1 Like

Also make sure and update your password in Channels DVR if you change it at Xfinity.

thanks for the tips, but this was working since i started using channels 3 months ago so that's not required. none of the accounts have 2fa, and nothing was changed. i seem to be locked out of the 'stream' app entirely now but can still access billing. not entirely sure how 2fa was turned on. doing some other digging, it looks like xfinity has changed something in their auth flow that especially doesn't like the channel scanning. the frequent logins might be flagging the accounts in the system.

still not sure why i was seeing "chrome failed to start" as i still get the non-auth required TVE channels and they work.

and yes, i updated my password in channels after. then when i did rescan all channels, xfinity kicked me out and is now forcing another password change. i am going to call support and see if my account is flagged.

Did you update to the latest Channels DVR Pre-Release version and run Troubleshooting?
What are you running your Channels DVR Server on?

If that's true, how would they know where to send the push notification to?
You must have entered a mobile# or non-Xfinity email for recovery on one of them.

1 Like

TVE source is dead in the water for me too. I’ve tried all the usual fixes. Developer console shows 403 forbidden.

One tab over I can log in to xfinity stream with no issue. Wouldn’t be surprised if they’re actively blocking channelsDVR at this point.

1 Like

TVE still works for me with TNT(6036) and ESPN(6140). Last logged in (changed password, no phone number, no 2fa) and scanned channels on November 8 though.

Waiting to upgrade to 2023.12.08.1925...

Make sure you cover all the bases first.
Important to follow these step by step and see if any fixes it.
If none of the checklist items help, the catchall is to submit diagnostics from the DVR server.

These is also a lot of updating/testing going on with Chrome launcher and versions on different platforms.

just got off with xfinity. 2fa got added for mobile due to suspicious activity and is off now. i reset my pass and can login to provider sites, but channels still fails with invalid password.

EDIT: ok, on VPN it logged in, grabbed some info but then kicked me out. it's showing the login screen in the iframe but i can't interact with it. it grabbed the free channels but nothing from my actual plan. auth seems to fail on any "paid' channels?

i am not using cloudflare DNS and my DNS check comes back good on the troubleshooter. ugh.

EDIT 2: ate some pie and then tried logging in again with VPN active on the server running channels and it worked. looks like a DNS issue, and i saw quite a few recent posts from different providers while looking around where people are having issues.

i am not sure why my TVE stopped working a few days ago, possibly the DNS issue. it seems when you add your TVE account to channels, it does a process where it logs in many times, or retries in quick succession if something fails. not sure which. it was even weirder because it looks like it half works, lets the account login, gives you the "free" channels on the plan, but then fails on login to pay TVE channels. i still had locals/etc when this was happening.

the DNS issue was allowing the login request to go through, but i assume something with TVE wasn't. so my xfinity account got hammered and marked suspicious when i tried updating my password last night in channels then re-scanning because it kept trying to login. i also didn't see a way to stop the scan short of stopping the server so i was getting a bunch of notifications in a row on my phone.

EDIT 3: well, it works but im missing some channels that i had before and still pay for in my plan :melting_face:

EDIT 4: oh, looks like my VPN is detected as outside US so it blocks a few. will try some other servers but it's most likely that.

Not sure if you're using a VPN to troubleshoot the issue, but if you're using a VPN for TVE, it's not a supported configuration and the developers won't be able to help you.

I'm sure you know that VPN's are used to circumvent geo-restrictions.

i only used the VPN to allow the TVE scan to complete... this is a DNS issue while resolving something in TVE. using a VPN to get around some networking issue like this is very common. this should actually be in your troubleshooting guide. i saw people having this same issue as far back as 2-3 years ago.

DNS and these types of issues can be tricky, this could be a temporary issue but from looking at forum history it's not new. they've obviously had issues with TVE and DNS before. as i said, there are many recent posts where people are having issues with TVE that seem to align with this. your average channels user isn't going to be able to fix this on their own. they also shouldn't try to keep verifying access to TVE channels during the scan when a previous one fails with auth or something. this is what got my account flagged due to ~100 logins in a row in 10 minutes.

also another bug where a ton of chrome processes are spawned and TVE fails with 'chrome failed to start' across the board. this bug has existed in channels for years. almost 100% reproduction rate for it when my TVE scan was bombing.

the devs aren't much of a help anyway. i reported 3 months ago a missing ffpmeg codec, still not released, along with multiple issues i've had to troubleshoot myself recently including this. this feels more like a free open source project than something i'm paying money for. at this point i would not renew my sub.

and chDVRuser, i hope they're paying you!

There are no DNS issues we are aware of related to scanning of TVE channels and we do not advise using a VPN with Channels DVR because it can easily cause problems.

If you update to the latest DVR pre-release we have added detection for the Xfinity "password reset" screen you were running into recently (your account was potentially flagged as suspicious due to the VPN but there's no way to know for sure).

Ok finally got mine working again. I did a bunch of stuff that i'll list here. I doubt all of them played a role but here's the list. At the end I think it had to do with Comcast's auto login even though I have that feature turned off and can log in to individual apps with no issue.

• Moved DVR to a new device
  • Deleted all site data for xfinity.com
  • Closed anydesk & anything else that has screen recording, screen capturing or screen sharing capability
  • Disabled wifi on my phone and turned on mobile hotspot using cellular provider's network
  • Connect server to Hotspot and add TVE source.

My Xfinity TVE connection has stopped working for the second time this month. No error is provided on the front end, but when I looked at the logs of Channels on the back-end, I could see there was authentication errors. I used a browser to log in and was greeted with:

I tried to reset the password but it would not let me until I added a phone number or email address to the account. It wouldn't let me do that since the permissions of this account are restricted to streaming only, so I had to log into my master account which displayed the same error. I ended up having to reset that password to get in, then go into my users, select the account I created for streaming only, add a phone number or email, then I could reset the password on that account as well.

I then removed and re-added the account in Channels and it spent forever on this screen:

When I looked at the log, I saw a lot of errors about authentication again, but this time is was pulling in the channels and testing them:

Eventually the errors went away and I was seeing more clean output:

Meanwhile, the front end is stuck on this:

After a refresh it seemed like all was well so I tested some channels and they played fine...for now at least.

It would be really nice if Channels could improve the front end so that when there is an error, it is more clear to the user rather then sitting at a spinning loading arrow forever. Even if it displayed a small preview of the logs, people could see what is going on behind the scenes and know if there is an issue or not.

If you update to the latest pre-release you will see a better error for this situation.

1 Like