Questions About Channels DVR

I'm a long time user of EyeTV, about 12 years, could be longer. I love how easy it is to use but getting long in the tooth and can't go past running on Sierra since they dropped support for the HDHR tunners which I have 3 of the dual version. Don't need complicated or big graphics, just a clean list of shows and playlist also the abliity to see a list of what is currently recording. So far in my search for a replacement Channels seems to fit the best but still questions. We record OTA and get stations from 2 markets (Providence and Boston), so 2 CBS, NBC, etc but some from Boston not available in Providence.
!st Question.. Can this work in Channels, getting 2 markets even though some networks and programming will be duplicated?
2nd Question... I've read here that channels does not handle large libraries well, we have over 2300 recorded TV Shows is that going to be an issue?.
Our typical scenario is to record 4 Shows at a time on 2 dual tuners with the 3rd tuner used for overlapping recordings, so at times there could be up to 6 HD streams recording to an UnRaid NAS via wired ethernet while also watching a show that has been previously recorded which will be deleted, usually right after watching.
Sorry I know this is probably a lot to take in but would appreciate any insight.

Welcome! You can choose a different provider per HDHR. When you add it to channels you just enter the zip code and then select the provider. It's not complicated like Plex or anything like that.

As far as large libraries, take a look at mine. I have zero issues whatsoever.

1 Like

I get both Batlimore and Harrisburg markets on my OTA antenna and my 4 tuner HDHomerun and channels knows and maps the stations just fine.

1 Like

So both markets show in the channel/Program listing at the same time?
Programming needs to be just a click on the show for my wife.

Yes

I don't have 2 markets but I do have local channels from different sources. Check out a custom channel guide view that I created that has CBS and NBC from different sources. It would be the same concept that you would have with 2 seperate markets on 2 different HDHR's. I have 3 HDHR'S and TVE as my sources. Take a look below to see what you can do :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes. 2.1 is the Baltimore ABC and 27.1 is the Harrisburg Station. Guides are appropriately mapped, same tuner, no problem whatsoever.

I too get OTA feeds from both Boston and Providence. If your antenna picks up both network stations, you will get both on your live display grid. If one comes in well and the other does not, you can disable the channel that doesn't work as well. You can also mark one a "Favorite" and the other just a regular channel. That way you can set your live display to only show favorites and not get a cluttered display with the same show appearing multiple times.

When you record something, only one station will be recorded, so your wife will not get confused by seeing duplicate recordings.

In addition to OTA, I also get NBC, CBS, and FOX via Internet TVE, but this depends on what services you subscribe to (I use Fubo), and what your ZIP code is.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask more questions.

Thanks all for the quick response.
I do have 1 more, for now, question.
Is there an easy way to see a list of what recordings are in progress?

Yes there’s a schedule view that would list it. They would also be found in the list of recordings which shows recording status.

I would implore you to just install Channels DVR Server and take advantage of the fact that it is free for the first 30 days.

I do have the Channels Server installed on my Unraid NAS and the client app on a new AppleTV but not fully integrated into the system do to still using EyeTV everyday.
Also, apparently the free 30 days doesn't work unless I actually sign up with cc info, or am I missing something.

Well yeah, none of it works until you sign up for the service.

Don't worry, you can cancel before the 30-day trial expires, if you are not satisfied with the service. If that ever happened, you would be the first one in history to dislike it. :laughing: :wink:

Hi Neighbor!

Everyone already gave you the correct answers, so I have nothing much to add, but just wanted to show you a little bit of what I am doing with the stations:

So you can see I have WPRI as my favorite and WBZ not checked off at all. There is a priority order when it comes to recording, so HD > SD, Favorite > Non-Favorite, Higher Source Priority > Lower Source Priority, Higher Channel Number > Lower Channel Number. As an example, here is a scheduled recording for today showing the priority order based upon my settings:

Also, I have nearly 15,000 "recordings" ("recordings means that, plus personal media files, plus stream links, plus .strm files) and the only thing it impacts is App startup time if it is completely closed. Mine takes less than 10 seconds nowadays. What you are describing is an old situation that is no longer true, at least for the past year and half. If you want to estimate what your experience will be like, I did a little math on this last year:

To clarify this a bit further: As soon as a program starts recording, it appears on your list of recordings (as well as other places). On the list of recordings, it shows with a red circle next to it to indicate that the recording is in progress. When the recording is completed, the red circle turns green.

Yo can watch programs while they are in the process of recording.

Thanks, so far looks good so far.
So I'd mostly be running the client on a new Apple TV which doesn't have a way to shut it down at a certain time like my Mac Mini. What happens if the server shuts down while Channels is running on it, Not Recording just idle? My server shuts down every night at 2:30 am (saves electricity, wear & tear and dust collection) and doesn't startup until ~ 4:00 pm next day. Does Channel Client on the ATV Panic or Get Confused, require a restart, just pick up where it left off etc?

Channels DVR Server needs to be running at all times to work at all. If it's not running, the app will just simply not work.

I would seriously consider just leaving your computer running. These are not the computers of the 90s. They use very very little power when idle and need no concern for 'wear and tear'. Your life will be much easier if you just keep the computer running.

Just to follow up...

An M1 Mac mini, uses 5 watts while idle, and at full load, it will only draw 20w. Compare that to what an incandescent light bulb uses (20-100 watts). And honestly, I would probably say that the computer idle for 8 hours, would probably use less power than what it has to use to boot up after being shut down.

These are not the computers of yore.

1 Like

The channels server is running off of an Unraid Server, lots of hard drives and moves files after 1am and a few other task then shuts down. Leaving it running 24 hrs a day is not optional. Just want to know how Channels on the ATV will react.

1 Like

You can of course do whatever you want, but understand that the software assumes that it will always be running and available. So you'll just have to plan around that on your end.