Questions About Channels DVR

Warm start: 1 second.
Cold start: 6 seconds
Playback a recording: 3 seconds.

1 Like

Come back here once you start playing around with things. As others have stated it is sometimes easier to walk you through things as they come up, especially since your use case is somewhat unique.

I have Channels installed on an old PC that I put to sleep every night. I've been using it for years, along with an Apple TV as a client, with no problem whatsoever.

When the PC is off the Apple TV will simply say it can't locate the server. Any recording scheduled during the offline time will simply be skipped, so I just double check every so often that I don't have any recording scheduled during the down time or leave the PC on when I do--easy peasy.

At the moment we prefer to schedule recordings each day, sometimes Smart is not so smart. CBS on Sunday is a PIA, shows are always running late due to games so we have to record shows we don't want following what we do want so we don't end up with 1/2 or 2/3rds. The only time we schedule in advance is if we go away for a week or so, then I would keep the server running. I have a PI running automation with OpenHab but I'm thinking of moving that to a Mac Mini. It's too much a pain to update and setup on the PI. The UnRaid Server has a parity disk so if a drive goes bad data is protected and the interface is nice. I prefer to have a DVR record the channel I want and sometimes in really bad weather I will record the same show on 2 channels (say CBS 4.1 Boston and CBS 12.1 Providence) at the same time. We have some Low VHF channels here, they sold us (OTA Viewers) out for the money and since then OTA is not as good as it was before in some cases. The only smart feature we use is Smart Playlist to organize recording by show. I do need to work on our antenna, a DB4e which I put up when everything went to UHF. Thinking of 2 maybe one for the Boston Stations and one for Providence. I'm currently analyzing signal strength and quality.

Blockquote
I have Channels installed on an old PC that I put to sleep every night. I've been using it for years, along with an Apple TV as a client, with no problem whatsoever.
Blockquote

That's good to hear. Thanks.

Passes can be padded to compensate for this. If you have passes set up for everything, the only thing you need to keep an eye on is if a show may not have been flagged as new.

All of my passes for Sunday recordings have 1 hour padding at the end.

I have passes for these shows. I have added 60 minutes (in the pass definition) to each of these shows. This always covers it for me. For auto races, I have to add 2 hours to be safe.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.