Rasp Pi with Streamlinks and PlayOn - Good Option?

TIL ... I had no idea that the Files app could do this, but there the option is (on the iPhone, too).

But yes, enabling the Samba option to remotely connect is probably the best/easiest way. Another option is SSH/SCP. I would probably in use the option to power off the Pi and attach the drive to another machine as a last resort.

Can file sharing be enabled on the Pi if the Pi is only being used for the ChannelsDVR via USB thumb drive? I am not using the “Pi” interface.

Are you saying Enable Samba on the Server Admin site?

Yes that’s correct.

So, being new to this do I have to use the server IP along with the \RASPPI4\MEDIA\DVR\ to connect via Files?

I think I am getting there. But, my DVR files are on an external drive connected to the Pi, so at the RASPI4/MEDIA/DVR location it is empty.

I don’t have a Raspberry Pi so I’m not sure how the standard Samba setup works, sorry. It might be possible to ask for it to share your external drive too (if it’s not shared already?) Try just using the hostname and seeing if there are multiple shares advertised.

Can someone using the Raspberry Pi image check how Samba is configured?

It appears I get a Content Unavailable - Unkown Error has occurred

Do I have to adjust the location of the DVR files to work with SAMBA?

Are you using the Channels-provided image for a Raspberry Pi 4 to boot off USB, or are you using a standard Linux install on the Pi and running Channels as a service/application like any other?

If the former, file sharing/Samba is enabled in the DVR server's web interface, the same way recordings are managed.

If the latter, then that varies depending upon which distribution of Linux and how it is handled by the OS.

Using the Channels image. Samba says to access RASPI4/MEDIA/DVR but that is not where the library resides. Do I have to move the Files?

Try opening //RASPI4/MEDIA and you should see the other drive there

Same Result

Try prefixing it with smb:, like smb://RASPI4/MEDIA/. Or by IP: smb://192.168.1.233/MEDIA/.

All options give the Content Unavailable - Unknown Error.

In iOS Files when creating the connection it asks to Connect As guest or registered. Guest will not allow anything. As Registered I am using my Channels user name. Is that correct?

No, you use the credentials for the user on the system. Perhaps a dev can chime in, as I don't know which user/pass they've established as the filesystem owner.

Does
\\RASPPI4\MEDIA
(note two P's)
or
\\192.168.1.233\MEDIA
work?

No. This does not. Invalid URL.

I can get to the Media folder using smb://192.168.1.233/MEDIA/ but not sure what needs to be user for the User name. IOS Folders connection asks to Registered user and a Name and/or optional password.

That question was never answered

Guest mode allows writing. There must be some compat issue with iOS. Exposing exfat over SMB to macOS/iOS has been surprisingly challenging.

Interestingly it does work for me:

Thank you for the reply. I guess I will have to unhook the hard drive and add a bunch of text files if I want to try StreamLinks.

Guess mode gives me the error as well.