BETA: Channels DVR Server for Raspberry Pi 4 (USB BOOT IMAGE)

My first thought also was to power the drive separately, as drives powered by the pi only have been known to have issues for many users.

1 Like

It looks like Homebridge is an image file intended to be dd' to the flash card. You can download the source but I haven't seen a compiler installed on the Channels Pi image so this will likely be an uphill challenge. That said, there are instructions on Homebridge to install on Docker which might work for you. I've had success running the Pluto-for-channels on Docker on the RasPi Channels image--but I always have to do a docker ps after reboot to kick things.

You asked if the RPi4 can handle--I think it could allow a small additional load. I've had 6-8 things (recording, watching, mix of OTA HDHR Conn, Sling, Pluto, WatchATT) and have not noticed any glitches. But the RasPi4 is pretty loaded at this point. I wouldn't try with a smaller Pi but you don't need the larger RAM versions.

You can install Homebridge on RPi along with everything else on your pi, just follow the instructions here: https://github.com/homebridge/homebridge/wiki/Install-Homebridge-on-Raspbian

That is not going to be compatible with the RPi Channels DVR software image without some work. Many tools like apt or gcc are not available. Docker however is available so running from that framework would require minimal effort on the RPi DVR.

I understand that, but I read your reply that it was just an image that you install directly to the flash card, and was pointing out an alternate method. Anyone who wants to get into Homebridge should be savvy enough to install Channels to RPi the old fashioned way and not need to use the image. I'm new to RPi, bought it for Channels just before they came out with the dedicated image, and it's really pretty easy to setup. I've also been able to install Homebridge, and the Pluto Docker all on the same Pi, with virtually no issues.

Curious if there are default SMB credentials I need to use to login to the SMB Server once enabled? Windows prompts me for network credentials, and I'm not clear on what those would be or how I would set them from the server setup page.

OTA buffering present again - hangs when starting a channel.

50ea23b3-6d78-4cc6-82a8-0ead39262bb8 submitted

1 Like

Same here. Running the pre-rel builds.

Question, is it normal to get the following error when trying to SFTP to an RPi Channels DVR?

bash: /usr/libexec/sftp-server: No such file or directory

I can successfully ssh as root to the device, but I get that error when trying to sftp instead using the following command.

sftp -P 22222 root@{ip address}

samba is meant to be the default file transfer process - it's configurable top-right on the settings page.

Thanks @hancox, the only reason I asked is that @tmm1 mentioned using sftp in this thread and I wanted to explore that but couldn't make it work.

Can anyone point me to the instructions on how to get the RPi Channels DVR converted to use wifi versus wired?

Any issues with using a flash/thumb drive for the OS, and non SSD for storage?
Or is using a small SSD preferred for the OS?

The OS drive still stores the guide database, which gets daily updates. So its preferred not to use a flash drive for that I think, just because a lot of thumb drives aren't that great. I don't think an SSD is required either, but they are pretty affordable these days.

Thank you for the quick response.

I have this issue as well. I've searched and searched and I don't find any details on this. I don't recall ever needing un/pwd in the past but now it's prompting. @tmm1 Is this normal behavior?

My Argon One V2 does come with a script for automated fan speed based upon the CPU temperature. However I can't seem to get the curl command to run as it's asking for an internet connection.

The command for the script is:

curl https://download.argon40.com/argon1.sh | bash

Is there any sort of page that has a Changelog or Release Notes for the Pi OS part of this image for new updates? (not meaning the Release notes of the DVR server part)

I have changed the sever name from "DVR-SERVER" to something else, "PI-DVR".
I turned off then on the SAMBA share option and that then does show on the UI the new name file path.

Computers on the network are still seeing the share being advertised as DVR-SERVER, and not the new name. (Under Network in File Explorer)
You also can not access it when you try to open in it.

If you type into File Explorer, "\\PI-DVR" it works, so the new name is infact valid and working, also works with direct IP.

A bug maybe, of it still advertising the default name?

I have rebooted, even powered down and unplugged the Pi from the network for at least 10 min. And rebooted the computers and LAN connection. they still see the old name.

I'm not sure that Channels will push the CPU hard enough to need the fan unless you overclock your Pi 4?

The Argon One case does just about equally as well as a Flirc case in passive cooling. I rarely see above 55 deg C using the Flirc when the Pi 4 is being taxed. Heck, even for the brief time that I used the Pi 4 with no case it still never got above 73 deg C.

See this review of the Argon SSD case for a bit more info. https://magpi.raspberrypi.org/articles/argon-one-m-2-review

I can't quite bring myself to buy it right now but i'd love to have a nice all-in-one Channels device. Argon One M.2 case, WD Red M.2 2TB SSD and, preferably, the next rev of the Pi! lol (love the way the Pi 4 works but just that bit extra power for Comskip specifically would be welcome)