Raspberry Pi 4B 1GB

I am currently running Channels on a Raspberry Pi 4B 4GB. Debían 11 (Bullseye) 64-bit. This Pi is being used to other functions as well, primarily Unifi.

I’d like to run Channels on its own Pi using the Channels Raspberry Pi image. I see from previous posts and the Channels shopping list that a 2GB Raspberry Pi 4B is recommended.

I am able to source a 1GB Raspberry Pi 4B. Would this be sufficient RAM to run the Channels Raspberry Pi image? On the current Pi 4GB, it’s running with approx 70% of RAM free.

Yes, I know there are many other platform options to run channels: older computers, NUC, NAS, Mac mini, etc. I’d like to stick with the Pi platform.

Is anyone running the Channels image on a Raspberry Pi 4B 1GB? How is it working?

In my experience, the only issues you are likely to run into are wrt commercial detection; however, that is generally more processor intensive than memory demanding.

Well, before I got my hands on a RP 4b 4gb to change to, I ran Channels on an old 2005 Sony Vaio laptop that had a 1Ghz mobile processor, and only 1Gb of ram. I loaded Debian Linux on it, and it all ran just fine. No issue, except it used more power than a RP, and I had to add a fan to keep it cool with the lid closed.

So, I'd think a 1Gb RP would work fine. As racameron points out though, it'll likely be slower on commercial detection.

Thanks for the feedback. I've ordered a Raspberry Pi 4B with 1GB of RAM to try it out.

A 1GB Pi 4B is working great for Channels. Using the Channels provided Pi image.

Functions I’ve been using, no issues:

Recording multiple shows from HDHomeRun simultaneously when watching another.

Commercial skip takes 4-5 min with 2 threads. 30-minute MPEG-2 show.

Commercial skip takes 6-7 min with 2 threads. 60-minute MPEG-2 show.

RAM free

856.91 MB
83.2% free

1 Like

The only real issue I've seen with mine, is streaming outside the home might not be so good.

1 Like