Raspberry Pi performance

The WD Elements line all have their own external power. A good HDD (spinning platters) is completely sufficient for DVR usage; a SSD is not necessary.

1 Like

UPDATE (after another member DM'd me to ask for more info)

I no longer run Homebridge and Channels on the same Pi. I discovered that if I had a lot going on in Channels (transcoding or commercial-scanning multiple streams) then there would be a 2-3 second delay in processing Homebridge commands. I also switched from a laptop to a desktop (Mac Studio), so I moved Channels onto my Mac, which is always on anyway (and way more powerful).

So I got a Samsung T7 and went through the setup .. I got stalled with this .. haven't seen it before ..

Any ideas about what to do other than reinstall ?

The usb drives appear under media not shares

Did you image the ssd or are you trying to add it as a second drive?

1 Like

Used the Raspberry Pi Imager .. Just replacing the older slower drive.

Neither worked trying to move on.

Says no permissions ? When does 'permissions' get set ?

Try the imager again

Done !

Same result can't get by permissions to set dvr recordings.
Re-formatted drive. Tried again same result.
Raspberry Pi imager is v 1.7.2
ChannelsDVRServer_PI4.img.xz
version incompatibilities ? Will re download DVRServer

SOLVED !

Fresh download of ChannelsDVRServer_PI4.img.xz
Installed it.
The whole setup page came up working !

Thanks for the help !

3 Likes

Thanks for good advice. I did a fresh setup of channels DVR on my pi 4, this time running on a Samsung T7 external SSD.

It will now record three programs simultaneously and I get a full run on all of them. Definitely not the case with the old WD disk external drive.

racameron:
Thank you for the heads-up ! You were entirely correct, and I fixed the problem with a SSD drive, as noted above.

2 Likes