Raspberry Pi Success!

Ordered the Pi computer, power supply and a new USB 3 Drive as recommended. Waiting on the case to be delivered.

All went ok, including migration from data on USB2 external drive.

Couple of tips.

1. Clean up your recordings if you are migrating, the copy can take a long time from old to new drive.

2. Do not assume that you have the updated firmware on your Pi computer, just because you bought it recently. Take the time to load it via the micro SD drive. Without the firmware upgrade, you get 4 flashing green lights on the Pi.

3. After your install is complete, go to the actual IP address. That is where you can manage your recordings.

5 Likes

+1 here. Ordered the CanaKit Raspberry Pi 4 4GB Starter Kit - 4GB RAM & WD 1tb drive from Amazon. Flashed the image to the WD on my Windows PC. Everything fired right up. It found my 2 HomeRun HD tuners right away. I was able to save the favorites from my installations of the client back to the server after adding Spectrum & YouTubeTV as sources. A new installation solved some issues I had on the Windows version with both of those not seeing the FS1 & FS2 feeds. All good now.

Very impressed so far.

2 Likes

After your install is complete, go to the actual IP address. That is where you can manage your recordings.

You can use http://dvr-server.local:8089 - that should work from jump.

Same experience here. After having several show-stopper issues on FreeNAS I am now very happy with the RPi build.

1 Like

On my RPi, the time it takes to detect commercials is almost as long as the program itself. Is that normal?

It depends on the recording. It can take as few as 5 minutes, and as long as an hour. It is a processor intensive task, and only uses a single thread.

You can use your own configuration file for the commercial detection, and increase the number of processor threads the detection uses. Search through the forum, as there have been several threads on this topic.

1 Like